Last night at 10 pm it hit me. Or rather, it finally sunk in.
I'm done with high school. Done with numbered grades. Done with homeschool. Ended. Finished.
The whole year I couldn't believe that this was my last, and as school wound down I continued to be oblivious to the FEELING of finishing. I mean, I felt sad, but I didn't have that sense of completion until last night. I was reading this bi-monthly newsletter that homeschoolers write up, who are part of the same program I'm in (the PHAA diploma program). It was actually an old one that I had received a few months ago, but I was perusing it again because I was bored but not wanting to go to bed just yet. In it, this 10th grader girl was lamenting about mid-year stress of research papers, speeches, etc. And how much of a chronic worrier she was (I was laughing as I read it because I was relating entirely). She ended on a positive note though, saying how we just need to remember that God remains close to us through it all, and it does help to take a bubble bath, or punch some pillows. Her last sentence was "You'll get through it. High school doesn't last forever." And I was like "She's right it doesn't last forever....it does end eventually......
OH MY GOSH I AM DONE WITH HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
And it sunk in.
And you know what? I'm excited. I'm excited that I completed grade school. I did it. I actually did it. And I'm excited about being excited about it, because I thought I was going to be completely sad. Which I was for a while, but that was before it had truly sunk in, and hey, you have to mourn for a little while, out of respect. After all, homeschooling me is one of the best decisions my parents made about my life, so it deserves a moment of silence as it goes to rest.
Goes to rest for a little while. Because as my friend Hannah was reminding me, homeschooling doesn't die, it's just taking a break until we choose to homeschool our own children.
So congrats, Class of 2010. We did it.
No comments:
Post a Comment