Although I've worked a week and a half by now, today marked the end of my first full week of work. Learning to be a PT tech has been hard and overwhelming but I'm supposedly catching on fast. That has been to Meghan's (the girl I'm replacing) credit. But today was her last day so I won't have her there to guide me any more (though she's been good with making me solo as much as possible). Thankfully everyone else is very helpful, and they keep reminding me that they will gladly answer the same question 20 times. It's quite humbling, I'll tell you that. I'm a person who likes to be independent and totally in control of a situation--it's never been easy for me to ask for help. So this has been good practice.
So for now it has been a tad bit on the stressful side, but I know as soon as I understand more what I'm doing, I'll enjoy it a lot. I feel like it's the perfect job for me.
Every patient has their own uniquely personalized exercise regime so no two people are the same. Even when you have 10 shoulder patients, they will all be doing a different routine. And what makes it really interesting is when the person has some other condition that you have to work around. Like diabetes, a heart problem, or maybe they are even deaf, like the person I worked with this morning (she could read lips pretty well, thankfully--I know no sign language :-).
I'm happy it's the weekend. There doesn't appear to be anything on the "fun docket", but I'm sure something will come up. :) Last weekend was great. Mariah S. turned 16 so she had this huge country-western-themed party...contra dancing and all. I didn't think I'd have another opportunity at square dancing this summer but I was happy to be proved wrong!
1 comment:
I just watched princess bride and now I get the humor the title of your previous post!
Great to hear things r going well : )
Post a Comment