Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

This weekend was really full. It started out when I decided at the last minute to go meet some friends in Corning for the Glass Fest Friday evening. The past week had been pretty lame, so I was like, enough with the lameness, let's do something fun already! And it was fun, even though it poured rain practically the whole time. So we hung out in a coffee shop in between the events that were going on in the parking garage (where the performances had moved because of the rain). I was not exactly blown away by any glass (there was like, none lol), but it was cool to see Virgil Cain, a one-man-band who could play the guitar, bass, piano, fiddle, etc....(The Glass Fest does stand up to its name though, because my family and I hung out for a while Sunday afternoon, and all of Market Street was actually shut down and there were lots of vendors and displays, like I had thought there should be on Friday).

Saturday I worked my last day at my grandparents. I was very glad to get that all finished up, and my grandma was recovered enough to go back to the personal care home. Working with her was definitely an opportunity to work on some heart issues, though. Like, continuing to love someone when they aren't treating you well. Continuing to smile and be a willing servant when they frustrate you. Not that I did successfully smile, and love, and stay willing....which is the entire point, because I realized how much I can talk and think that serving others is just the best thing in the world when they appreciate what you are doing for them. It is a whole different ballgame, I discovered, when you are loving the loveless. A hard ballgame.

Sunday after church and hanging at the glass fest to pass the time, we went to the Cornfield's for Gabriel's 7th birthday. It was very hard for me to grasp that he is getting so big...and it is going to be even harder when Sanna turns 7 this September. I remember when you guys were born! I remember waaay before you were born, actually. hahaha. I remember how we were with the C's when we announced mom was having a girl, and how Gabes kicked inside of Mrs. C at just that moment.  It's like you were already friends and couldn't wait to play with each other! And I will not make any jokes of you two marrying, even though I am severely tempted to right now. :)

This morning (Monday) I was super excited. Actually, I started getting excited last night, because today was the Bob Bridgman Memorial race. This year, I actually trained for it, instead of just winging it like last year. So my goal was to run it in 30 minutes, and I made it through the chute in 30:13 (4 min, 29 sec faster than last year). Pretty good timing, because I had absolutely no clue how fast I was running or how long it was taking me throughout the race. Last year they had a timer at the first mile mark, but they didn't have that today which was somewhat of a bummer. But it was fine anyway, because I was only 13 seconds off. My other goal was not to walk at all, which I wasn't sure I would be able to do because of the 3rd completely killer uphill mile, but I proved myself wrong.

Overall, I was pretty happy about the race. It was just the right temperature, and overcast so we didn't have to deal with the hot sun like last year. Dad was going to have us all leave right after the race, but I was like, oh, lets just hang out with all the cool running people and watch the awards ceremony. Please. So we stayed. I'm glad we did, because what do you know Isaac's name got called because he had come in 3rd place. Then, they went to announce the 15-19 year old girls winners, and suddenly my name is coming over the loudspeakers. I think my jaw dropped. I did not expect that, because last year I took 8th. But I got a bunch of chocolate chip cookies for coming in 3rd place (Bob's favorite award was food, never trophies, so you get stuff you can eat. I think its a great idea). Then, Ben Polczynki got 3rd for his age group, and Nick Spano got 3rd as well (though technically only because Mr. Learn, who always wins, differed like a good sport). Evidently 3 was the magic number today.

In the fun run, Misha got first for girls, second overall, and Sanna got 4th place I believe. Those two are fast. My mom ran the 5k too, and was a minute or two faster than last year, coming in just at 31 minutes, I think.

Mostly it was just fun to be with a lot of other runners, on a gorgeous day, running a stretch of road that I've only run once before. It gets kind of monotonous making my loops around the mile long trail outback, since I'm not exactly allowed to run on the main road (sometimes I'm bad and don't follow that rule, but 98% if the time I do lol). Now I can't wait until next Memorial Day to do it again, but for now, I'm just excited about all the regular running that will happen this summer in general. The BB gets it kicked off to a good start.

No comments: