Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Pontoon Planes, Gully-washers, Cobblestones, and Scheming*

*That is a list of my favorite words to say. Just because they are fun to get your tongue around. Cobblestones has been my favorite ever since I was little, then scheming got added about a year ago. Gully-washer was added last week when Nick Spano and I were talking about fun words to say. You'll figure out when pontoon plane was added. Humor me and leave a comment saying what your favorite word to speak is.

I didn't know there was such a thing as hurricane Lee until about lunchtime when I asked why it had been pouring rain for hours. It has continued to rain all day. Way more than with Irene, which is funny because there was so much hype surrounding her. Lee, on the other hand, was silent and deadly. At least to my unawares secluded self. Apparently, there's already quite a bit of flooding. One of the middle schools is even making their students spend the night there, since it's too dangerous to get them home. Ouch. Those students are either excited, or extremely annoyed. Who wants to spend a whole 24 hours in a middle school?

As with Irene, from my egoistical vantage point Lee is positively fun. First, I didn't mind sitting in the basement doing school all day. When I did venture upstairs to look out the windows, I just got this nice cozy feeling that I was in and it was out. Until, at about 3:30, when I was in the middle of an essay, I got the urge to join it outside. My siblings had made all the excuses for going out ("I need to feed the dog" "gotta check on the chickens" "I'm gonna go get the mail"), so there were none left for me to make. However, I decided for once in my life I would take advantage of the fact that I am 18 and no longer legally under my parents authority, so I went outside without any excuse except I wanted to (without any shoes or a raincoat. Wait. I don't own a raincoat). So I twirled around a few times in the driving rain, jumped through puddles, ran through puddles, then ran up to the top of the driveway where there is a big Lee stream, and splashed in the stream, then ran back down screaming and shouting through more puddles and finally back inside. And was decently soaked. I couldn't find a beach towel so I just waited for my hands to air dry before plopping down in front of the computer to get back to work, my mind thoroughly refreshed, my body thoroughly drenched (we shall now wait and see if being damp for a prolonged period of time brings on the common cold).

What is it about water falling from the sky that is so enticing? One of the good things about sin entering the world is that God had to send the flood and destroy the water vapor canopy. Otherwise, we probably never would have experienced rain. Of course, I live on a hill and have never suffered the consequences of flooding that rain brings, so there are most likely many people who disagree with me. But I still enjoy it, nonetheless.

We went up to Cayuga Lake on Saturday, and saw two pontoon planes, one red and one yellow, land on it. It looked like so much fun, and I want one now, because it combines the best of both worlds: flying through air and speeding through water. Unfortunately, the fun of the owners was short-lived, because soon a policeman arrived and, as we found out later, informed them that you have to have a special permit to land in a state park. Apparently the permit is only $10, and I hope he let them off easy ticket-wise. He probably felt pressured to do so as a crowd had gathered, and people were taking pictures and just hanging around wearing curious, though sympathetic, expressions. When they took off again, everyone waved and one of the pilots tipped his wings to us.

I am rather excited because I got my first ever tax return in the mail yesterday! For working last year at the physical therapy clinic, I got a total reimbursement of $18. Seeing as I paid the government $308.54 (I kept track) for my total time working there, it's the least they could do. *sob*. I want my money back!! All of it! All well. I'll just go spend the $18 on something frivolous. Or maybe start saving for that pontoon plane. Aside from the fact that that $300 was about two weeks worth of work, really the majority did go to providing SS for the dear elderly citizens of my dear country, so I don't mind. I guess. I could justify it better if I knew someone would be giving me SS when I turn 65 or whatever the magic age is, but I have a feeling SS won't be around then. Or will be scarce. Or the government will be paying for everything I need anyway, so it won't matter.

Or I could be positive, and say this upcoming election will get a low-taxing, small-government supporter in the white house, and we have nothing to worry about and everything to look forward to. Why do I feel so sardonic typing that? Something is wrong with me. This country could use some positive thinking. Or at least, realistic thinking. Extremes have gotten us nowhere.

I guess I should quit now because I am talking about politics! Everyone uses blogs to talk about politics and I'm making mine stereotypical by following suit. So then, I'm off to watch the Tea Party debate on CNN with dad. He's been excited about it all evening and keeps reminding us it is starting at 8. Which makes mom laugh, because he brings it up so much. But I'm pretending to be excited about it with him. Actually, it's only 1/4 pretending. I feel very interested and empowered this upcoming election seeing as I'm a voting citizen.

4 comments:

Alex said...

"our" is my answer whenever someone asks "what is your favorite english word?" But to be honest I'm pretty sure the only time i've ever answered that question (with the exception of now of course) has been when I've asked it.

mattea kiriel said...

Our? Interesting choice haha. It is rather vowel-y.

Isaac said...

being soaked did bring about a cold lol!

mattea kiriel said...

I KNOW! I can't believe it. I'm totally going to do a post about it. Maybe tomorrow after school, so check back.