Thursday, November 03, 2011

1,000 Words

Can a picture say a thousand words? Sometimes yes, especially with famous pictures like Afghan Girl; but in most cases, I think not. Personally, I'll take a thousand words any day. However, today mom was showing me an organizational app that includes a journal. The kicker: you're only allowed about 375 characters a day. The description says they made it that way so you write pithily, only including the highlights of your past 24 hrs. Something like that may be good for me, but I have a feeling it would end up being the bane of my existence. Even now, after going a week without posting, I feel giddy and unexpressed. There is so much I could write about concerning the rest of our trip, and I have no clue where to start. Or if I should even start. If in pictures it's important to have negative space, then it could follow that when writing it's important to leave some things unsaid. So I'll challenge myself. For every day since my last post, I'll write 375 characters or less about it.

Friday: FSU vs. VT women’s volleyball on campus. I was excited that FSU won, but mostly enjoyed feeling short compared to the girls on defense. Next we went to Yogurt Mountain (the 3rd self-serve frozen yogurt franchise we’d visited that week). The whole day I protected my arms from Steven, who punched me (hard) for every VW Bug. There are lots in Tally.

Saturday: Found out Floridians don’t know how to enjoy talking around a campfire. After the s’mores were done, they ended up inside watching the World Series. Eventually I was left all alone, contemplating life. Coals, flames, and stars have that effect on me. But introspection is only good for so long. Talking is more soothing, and we all missed out [observing, not complaining].

Sunday: Heart torn in two. 1/2 of me was in the north with my mountains and my friends who live in them, 1/2 was in the south with sunshine and my rockin’ cousins. Drove to Athens GA, shared 2 regular beds with 7 people. It’s hard to sleep with 1ft of width to yourself, thinking of the million empty beds in the hotel. So remembered 10 P’s in a Pod, the slaves, and C. ten Boom.

Monday: 14hr drive listening to Owl City, Kye Kye, Relient K, Jars of Clay, Jamie Grace etc. Arrived to a 49℉ home and snow on the ground. GP had started the Verner so we had a little warm water, but otherwise it was frozen. I layered clothing and blankets and fell asleep with numb toes. At some point in the night I awoke and was toasty warm. Thank you exothermic processes.

Tuesday: Gloried in there being no houses in sight when I looked out the window. Gloried in the hills. Did school in my pj’s, a sweater, two pairs of socks, and slipper boots because it was way too cold to even think of stripping, so I just kept adding. That night was Grandma’s first soup group of the season. That can be summed up in 2 words: “mmhmm” and “warm.”

Wednesday: Un-discombobulated. I thought about everything I had thought about during the trip, which was a lot since a change in location is conducive to reflection and clarification. Result: the future looks more hopeful than it ever has. Waking up in the morning feels different. I’m excited to just be alive, and am confidant in the decisions God has lead me to make so far.

Today: Took a math test, then realized how long it’s been since I truly worked out, and felt crappy. A couple miles, a few hill sprints and more than several pushups later, I feel better. New fav verse from 1 Timothy 4: “Train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value [so let’s do it!], godliness is of value in every way [just keep priorities straight].”

Ha ha! There. All under 375 characters. I feel better having written, and hopefully you are enjoying the fact that I didn't drown you with metaphors or details.  

4 comments:

Jessica said...

First of all, what is "soup group" and if it's what I think it is (a cool group of ladies getting together to enjoy warm soup) then I think I'm going to steal the idea ;o)

Second, I love this post! I get antsy when I go too long without writing, too! But this is a good idea... to just get the basics down. For me, I'm finding that my blog isn't enough... I'm starting to get back into journaling again. Just for me, you know? And man there's something so fun about a pen on paper. I miss that when I'm on electronic devices only for too long!

mattea kiriel said...

Soup group is my Grandma's way of getting as much of her family in one place once a week from Nov-March. She has a billion soup recipes, all of which are really good, so the draw is pretty strong :). So it's not just ladies, but that sounds like a fun idea! You should go for it :). Something about friends + soup = great combination.

Thanks! Glad you liked it :). I journal too, but it's usually just thoughts and stuff. I should probably expand to recording actual life happenings, then I could better filter what I put on here...maybe to make it more reader friendly or enjoyable haha. But then again, for as much as blogs are for sharing with others, they are also for the writer to get whatever they need to out of them: whether it's creativity, a love for writing, information, indignation, exhortation...whatever.

Here I go again. This is a huge comment! :P

Delian said...

facebook has killed me - I went to look for the 'like' button for Jess's comment.

So, I guess I'll have to SAY what I like about it.
Pen hitting paper = magic. I agree. :P

Mattea, I liked your post, and I understand the pain/excitement at having only a certain amount of characters to work with. I've always told people I'm bad at short stories - if it's supposed to be one page long I'm going to multiply it by ten. :P

Miss you both <3
~Del

mattea kiriel said...

Haha I smiled the whole way thru your comment, del :) Love you too.