Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My Sherlock Holmes

Ever since Misha was little (well, littler), she has been very (and sometimes scarily) observant. She catches the slightest hint of any smell, so you can't chew gum or eat a mint around her without her asking if she can have one. Take something apart in front of her, like a watch or flashlight, and she'll put it right back together again for you. When she was four, we only showed her once how to tie a shoe lace and she learned how to do it herself. Yesterday her Sherlock Holmes skills came into play again when she pointed out that Papa T was wearing a different pair of socks. You see, for the past two years Papa T has worn the exact same pair of generic, black, polyester socks. He hand washes them every night in the sink, and then lays them out to dry so he can wear them again the next day. Why? I'm not sure. But he is 80 years old and pretty much wifeless so draw your own conclusions. I just think it is funny, and I want a pair of socks that lasts that long.

Anyhow, we asked him, and it turned out that yesterday was indeed the first time in 2 years he had put on a different pair of socks. I guess he wanted something a little warmer for hunting with Isaac. I'm just still amazed that Misha noticed the change because I never would have. I'm also amazed that Papa T actually made the sock switch. Breaking a two year long tradition must have felt at least a little drastic. Though he's not one to go out of his way to keep tradition. Maybe I get that part of myself from him (let's hope the similarities start and end there, though. I mean, not that I have anything against turning into a person who, at 80 years old, has odd habits like wearing the same pair of socks for two years, but...).

This year's Thanksgiving was a good blend of tradition and not-tradition. We started off by going to the Pie and Glove 5k in Corning (nontraditional). It was relatively freezing, but very pretty. The ground and trees were all frosty and the sun was shining low from the east, making everything sparkle. And everyone at the race was in a good mood. I think that is half the reason I enjoy races and just running in general because the running culture (at least the non-competitive, let's-do-this-since-it-is-fun/healthy-not-because-we-are-good-at-it culture that I would tend to associate with) is made up of happy, I'll-be-your-friend kind of people. All in all, there were 1500, give or take a few, of those people at the race. Very huge, and something I'm not used to since the only other 5k I've done is the Bob Bridgman, which has only 100 people each year. As to the actual running, I did not do as well as I wanted to but it was fun anyway. I got to see all the Slack's, a couple Cornfield's, a couple Hinterberger's, my cousin Matt, and a few other people I know.

We went home and got 6 people through the shower and back out the door in just a little over an hour. We didn't have to make much of a trip though, since we celebrated with my aunt and uncle down the road (traditional). The problem is, after running I can never eat as much as I usually would. My stomach registers "full" too soon. So I only got to eat two plate fulls instead of three...or four. Dang. Haha.

I am starting to wish that we would skip the actual meal and cut straight to the pie. We had over ten pies, plus 4 kinds of fudge, to choose from, but by the time you get there you only have room for a couple slices. Which means I literally stood in front of the pie for like 5 minutes trying to decide which I wanted. Hey, it is scientifically proven that the human mind gets overwhelmed when there are more than 5 choices, and becomes less satisfied when it does make a choice, knowing it could have made a different one (dad's lesson on marketing a product 101). So I had reason to be so indecisive.

Friday did school, went with m&d to get groceries. Didn't do any Black Friday shopping because my current budget is FREE, and not even Black Friday sales get that low.

Saturday cleaned the house and went ice skating, then brought Mariah back with us since she found out we were having Pho for supper and that is one of her favorite foods. Hahaha.

Sunday I woke up too early, but church is always worth it. I love church (code word for worship+friends+growing+love). Afterward we had the H's up and my terrific dad made something like 8 pizzas for all of us. We did have left-overs, which I'm amazed at. And now I'm really hungry and wanting some....

Anyway, that was a fun afternoon. A lot of laughing. A lot of talking. A lot of screaming (I need to control my sympathetic nervous system better). We hiked all over the woods and fields and gas pad, and made a movie, the plot of which is so awesome I can't talk about it online since we haven't copyrighted it yet. Okay, actually, it's because I don't know what the plot is. But it was fun to make, and we discovered Jonathan has a very unique style of filming. Reminds me slightly of Mr. Bean's Holiday, since there aren't any cuts.

This is where I shall cut my post though, and go see if mom needs help with supper.

4 comments:

Laine said...

1. Ah, yes. Misha. Definitely a Sherlock Holmes.....
2. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around the 2 year sock wearing thingyy but sometimes you just have to except things the way the are. (Hooray for a change!)
3. Non-traditional 5k-def. a favorite! And we really need to get more people to run the BB-(including me).
4. I completely agree about the pies-I was so full I could only eat some fudge and a piece of pumpkin pie. We should boycott.
5. Awesomeness that is too good to comment on.
6. Same as above. ^
7. Those pizza's were amazing. Anddd now I'm hungry.
8. Even I haven't figured out the plot to the movie yet-alas, I believe that I never shall.
9. Mr. Bean style is one way of putting it. However I don't believe that I can recall any butt-shots in Mr. Beans Holiday. :p Or maybe they just didn't include them. ????? That was a lot of fun though and I thought it was really, really funny. :D I'm glad you embraced it too.
10. I don't have something to say but just to keep it even I'm doing a tenth one. :P <3

Josiah said...

The pizzas indeed were good, and the company better.

I like the fact that you specifically highlighted the "sympathetic" nervous system; lol.

Plot, what plot? Speaking of Jonathan's unique style of filming...http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/secondchancebreath/Jonathan.jpg

And so, which pie did you choose?

mattea kiriel said...

Maryah: We can start the boycott this Christmas, okay? And yeah I don't think there are any butt shots in Mr. B's Holiday but I had to compare it to something without bluntly saying "Jonathan was filming my butt all day" and that was the closest I got.

Josiah: First, thanks for commenting, but I never asked: what were you doing up so late anyway? Second, I had peach, grape, and pumpkin pie. Apple is technically my favorite, but I was taking the leftovers of my apple pie home so I figured I could get some then. Oh and btw, that picture is now the wallpaper of my desktop. I am literally going to laugh all week long. :)

Josiah said...

Started playing a video game; looked up at the time and gasped; was filled with to much adrenaline from the game to go right to sleep...Voila!