My conception of the week as a span of time has changed rather markedly this past month, considering I practically have a 4 day, Sat-Tue weekend, and then just 3 days to get a grip and do normal stuff before it all begins again. I feel like that kid who got his wish that his birthday would be every day, only to discover he just can't handle it. Not that I can't handle having 4 out of 7 days be weekend-like socially, but it does make me realize there is some rhyme and reason to a 5 day workweek (ie, it's more productive, more stable, more practical. And therefore boring-schmoring).
The 4-day weekend is in thanks to first, just normal family fun on the weekends, but mostly Mikaela, Pfist, Danae, and this week, Alex. It started Saturday with Isaac's 17th (!!??) birthday party, in which we all dressed up as pretty much anything we wanted to be, ate a lot of good food, and discussed the rights of American law enforcement (that was with the adults). Sunday was church, and then the drive up to the H's to celebrate momma and poppa H's return from Alaska along with the Crogan's and a number of other people. We went for a swim, picked blueberries, and ate lots more good food.
On our sunny Monday morning Pfist came over, and Mikaela arrived soon after, which gave us just enough time to fill up the water balloons and start a war as soon as she got here. As usual, it ended up as a battle over the hose and pitchers of water with lots of screaming (on my part). Seeing as it was a very warm day, it was the perfect thing to do. Once we declared peace, we got out the soap and vacuum and proceeded to clean Pfist's Subaru. Apparently, it is now the cleanest it has ever been. We dried off in the sun, and went inside to have a snack so we'd have energy to make triple berry pies. We also picked salad and corn from the garden, and then grilled burgers and hotdogs and fried up some bacon for the cheeseburgers.
We thought we were doing Mom and Dad a bit of a service by taking over food preparation, and they were using the time to do lots of fun stuff together like go for a run in the woods and ride mopeds. Unfortunately, it also provided Mom with the time to wipe-out on her moped. I guess she took a turn a little too sharp and tipped, scraping up her knee and shoulder, with the worst cut being on her forearm. The poor thing is still in pain from it.
So, so much for our helping out.
After supper we all went for a long walk, with a nice balance of hymn singing and talking. Then before popping in Despicable Me we ran to the nearest convenience store to get heavy cream for whipping. That and ice cream was a nice addition to the pie.
Pfist left after the movie but Mik and I stayed up and talked under the stars for far too long considering we had to get up early so she could get home and to work. Soon after she left I hopped in my car and drove to the fair to meet Danae and her horses, and also Pfist again. I hurried home by 1PM, ate lunch and showered before jumping in the car with Andrew. We were both going to the Mumford and Sons concert in Canandaigua, but I was going with a different group (the group with tickets that came with seats because I have super generous friends who decide to pay my way) so in Corning I hopped in Alex's car and made the rest of the drive north with him. We met Bethany and Jess at Wendy's, and then fought the traffic to CMAC.
After getting sent back to the car by security since Jess couldn't bring her super nice camera, we got in. The funny thing is, my security dude went through my bag and confiscated my open water bottle, but completely missed my 6 inch hunting knife. I should have taken it out because it could have gotten me into trouble, but I forgot, and all's well that ends well.
Referring to our tickets, we made our way into the open-air, but covered, concert center and found our seats. We were somewhat shocked. Because we were only seven rows from the stage. Close enough to count hairs, almost. We checked with the attendants, but they affirmed yes, these were our seats. We sat there rather stunned. It was all I could do not to scream and twirl around. After the pre-show bands had their turn, Mumford and Sons came out about 9PM and rocked the world. Or at least that little section of Canandaigua. I have never been to a concert bigger or more professional than Winter Jam, let alone been so so so close, so it was an experience, and something I'll remember for the rest of my life.
It was amazing.
Due to poor traffic management, it took us an hour to get out of the parking lot, and I didn't get home until 2 AM, but it was more than worth it.
In these bodies we will live
In these bodies we will die
Where you invest your love
You invest your life...
No comments:
Post a Comment