| Train ride in... |
It’s just like it is on the Travel Channel (haha). Meaning, amazing.
The one difference is that the day we were there was the slam-bang finish of Carnevale. Translation: it was crowded. Think Time Square on New Years Eve...then put all those people in narrow streets and in little piazzas and then fill up Saint Mark’s with thousands of people, some of whom are dressed up in a plethora of different costumes: decks of cards, Star Wars, The Wizard of Oz, Colonial and French Revolution inspired outfits, bunnies, bears, pirates, women dressed as men and men dressed as nuns. That’s not even scratching the surface.
| For Mom |
When we stepped out of the train station, the staff told us to split into groups and meet next to a certain tree by 7:15pm. There was no way we were going to be able to stay together, so might as well make an intentional split, was the reasoning. At that, Mik and I hooked arms, pointed ourselves in the direction of a bridge that crossed one of the larger canals, and set off into the crowds, into Venice.
Just us two, for the whole day.
It took probably two hours, but we finally made it to Saint Mark’s Square. We didn’t stay long. It was too crowded, and the empty streets that we knew were somewhere were calling to us. So after eating lunch on a gondolier’s dock, we set off deeper into the city, taking every street that led away from noisy celebrators and businesses until tourists were gradually replaced by locals. A little boy watching his dad use a bandsaw. Another on a skateboard. A bunch of kids playing ball in a courtyard that we dared to peak in and watch. Old women who smiled at our enthusiasm as we craned our necks up to see the blue sky at the tops of the buildings.
We got miserably lost, but that had been my goal for the day so when we ran into an unknown body of water on who knows which side of the Island, and checked a map and couldn’t figure out our location or how to get back to to the train station for the life of us...
I rejoiced. Mission accomplished.
Not that it was that hard of a mission.
Getting un-lost took less than an hour, when we found ourselves near Saint Mark’s. From there, it was easy to follow the signs to the station. Getting there through all the swarms of people, on the other hand, was difficult. At some points we’d come to a complete halt, standing there smushed up against people in a narrow street, close enough to kiss (don’t worry, dad). However, I reached deep down inside of me, mustered some aggression, and...elbowed people out of the way, kicking/pushing myself through gaps that I imagined were there.
I honestly didn’t know I had that in me :P
By that time it was dark, and getting colder and a lot rowdier, nearing the time we had to meet everyone. But we stopped for gelato, and then some pizza (dessert first when there are no adults around!), before getting a little lost again and finally arriving at the station. The rest of the group was there waiting for us, though we were technically 5 minutes early.
| Lucky Nut (inspired by my fav kid's book) overlooking a canal... |
| There was a lot of this... |
Beth picked us up in Casarsa from the meeting place and drove us back to school so we wouldn’t have to make the trek in the dark.
I fell asleep, mind still wandering through those empty sunny streets of Venezia with Mikaela...
It’s a city that stays in your mind, especially when you understand how it’s struggling economically and physically (those rumors that it’s sinking are true) and the way it’s trying to preserve it’s history and be a home to some people while it receives a constant influx of tourists who buy souvenirs that were made in China. Honestly, the whole city felt sad to me. It’s certainly beautiful and historically decrepit, but it’s also rundown, dying.
Nothing lasts...
3 comments:
You've been to Venice!!!
Love the photo of the boy against the wall. And the random troll doll.
And yeah, being in large crowds of people, you sometimes will do things you wouldn't normally :)
Great pics-love the lucky nut. SO happy you and Mik got lost in Venice and found some emptier alleyways....I remember hearing that on any normal day (not during carnevale) around 50,000 people visit. I think your impressions of Venice are accurate-the city that sells relics has become a relic and the feeling of antiquity permeates. It reminds me of the song Beautiful Letdown by Switchfoot.
Wow! Sounds like an emotionally intense day with a deep imprint...and a lot of fun! Thanks for making it out of the crowd...I really would appreciate seeing you again! As I read your description, I felt as if I was walking those streets as well--thanks again. I may never get there, but I feel like I'm visiting...
Dad H
Post a Comment