Saturday, March 30, 2013

I Say Soccer

I've never followed any sports, and I never played sports growing up (except for karate but that's not exactly what comes into your mind when you think of sports). I generally watch the Super Bowl and the World Cup but that's it--I don't follow any teams beforehand. That considered, I'm not sure why I was excited when staff announced at the beginning of our semester at SBI that at some point we'd have the option to go to a soccer (er, football) game. Andrew had liked the one he had gone to when here, and Matt had told me I had to see one, but other than that there was nothing that should have attracted me to it. Go watch a bunch of men kick around a ball? Or as it turned out, stand in the pouring rain and watch a bunch of men kick around a ball? What's the appeal in that?

Lot's of appeal, actually. Even though I didn't know what I was looking forward to, it was worth the anticipation. The crowd, the contagious excitement, the fast-paced nature of the game, the Italians themselves and experiencing Italy again after being gone for one week and stranded at school for another. (Ah, Italia, it is good to be back...)

As to the game itself, Udine (our home team) was playing Balogna (quite ironic and very fitting considering our trip there). No one ever scored, but it was still an exciting game with a lot of action happening around the goals. Udine definitely played better, which may or may not have anything to do with the fact that di Natale (who has been in the World Cup) is on their team.

After the game, we (Brittney, Garrett, Kayla and I) went to the mall to meet up with the rest of the group (Caitlin, Lexie and Ashtyn) who had come to Udine. A five minute walk turned into a 15 minute rainy jog that involved crossing and walking down highways filled with Saturday afternoon traffic, jumping puddles and trying not to get splattered by cars. Or tour buses. Like when we were walking through the underpass and a bus was driving toward us. I remember thinking "uh-oh" but it passed me without any problem. A split second later I heard a scream echo off the walls. Needless to say, Brittney got wet.

When we finally got to the mall we ate gelato and then, according to what is apparently tradition, crossed the mall to the piercing/tattoo place so anyone who so desired could get one. Lexie got her second ear piercings, but everyone else passed. Including me. I just couldn't decide. Lame.

So we took the bus to the train station, and the train back to Casarsa. Beth was there to pick us up so we didn't have to walk back in the rain. I love that woman. She had us over to her house, a couple blocks from SBI, Wednesday night so we could bake dozens of cookies and cake and then eat them as soon as they came out of the oven. Technically, I should have been studying or writing but...chopping chocolate bars up and eating cake batter and singing and laughing and goofing off and watching people smile was so much more fun than homework. Besides, it's all part of Operation: Loosen Up.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Going to a tattoo parlor is an SBI tradition now? Weird! ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed the soccer game. I saw Bologna play too!

And baking/eating cookies is definitely more fun than homework.