I always thought it was impressive when my whole family could wake up, pack up, and start out on a road trip at 4 or 5AM. What's more impressive is getting 16 girls on a bus at 5AM, particularly when punctuality is not a forte. There was a pretty good incentive, though: 2 days in Florence followed by 2 days in Rome. Somehow, we all got on that bus, curled up in balls (or up in pretzels for us taller girls), and tried to go back to sleep. Some had success, some did not (that was me). By 8 in the morning they made us open the curtains to let the sunshine in and we stopped the bus to take a "quick" bathroom break (never happens), eat the breakfast they'd packed and change out of our pj's. Normally, I don't notice when people stare at us, or if I do I just don't care. That morning was a little more difficult. When I've just crawled out of bed, or something similar to it, attention is the worst. So climbing out of that bus with all the other girls and getting stared down by a bunch of men who had arrived at the gas station prior to us was like some form of torture.
That was the worst of the trip, and it only lasted 1 minute so I can't complain. But I was definitely happy when we got back on the bus and started driving again. Road trips with friends are always fun; a road trip with 17 friends is a party.
By the time we got to Florence and checked into our hostel it was looking like it might rain. It did, pretty much for the rest of the week. Spending 3 euro on an umbrella from one of the millions of people that started selling them the moment the sky clouded over was the best investment I've made in a while. Not that I had much choice. Sam wouldn't give me a break: if I wasn't wearing a scarf and using an umbrella, I would die from my cold, he said.
Thankfully, he still let me eat gelato (actually, according to Sam gelato is good for you). I think my favorite gelato place in the world is now located on a street corner just across the river Arno in the older section of Florence. One day, I will go back. As it was, I got gelato from her several times while there (and some awesome pizza and kebabs from other cafes). Besides food, the coolest things in Florence were Brunelleschi's Dome (all 463 steps to a gorgeous view at the top), seeing Michelangelo's David in real life (textbooks don't do it justice) and watching the sun set from a park on a hill above Florence. After spending part of the day with Dr. Wilhoit, he always let us have free time from about 3:30PM on. At that point we'd break into groups according to what people wanted to do, but the last night we were there, Tuesday evening, we all ended up at Parco Michelangelo anyway. Standing there, looking down on Florence in the valley as the sun reflected off the buildings, surrounded by hills and the sparkling Arno... It was one of the more beautiful things I've experienced.
Early Wednesday it was back on the bus for the drive a few hours south to Rome. We spent just a little less time in Rome than in Florence, but it seemed like a lot less. Maybe because Rome was so huge, and unlike Florence I couldn't get the lay of the land very quickly. Since a new pope was in the process of being elected, the city was busier than usual. Though we did visit Vatican City and the museum, we were never able to get into the Sistine Chapel. That was rather disappointing, but it's a small trade off considering we were there when the Cardinals elected the dude who is now known as Francis I. It was neat being so near an event that will end up in history books.
There were no fireworks though. I was a little bummed about that.
A good celebration was eating at a little restaurant with a few of the girls and Dr. W. I love eating in restaurants because it gives you a chance to have more of a cultural experience. I've only done it a couple times since its more expensive, and generally I'm satisfied to get pizza from the nearest street vendor anyway, but I do enjoy it occasionally.
That same night we also visited the Trevi Fountain. It's still pretty during the day, like I discovered Thursday when we went back, but at night it's...yes, I confess, magical. It was raining, too, and not many people were there so we all got our chance to throw a few coins in.
We headed back to the hostel later then usual, but I wanted to stay out all night. There was so much going on, and when you are only in Rome for a few hours, you don't want to spend any of them sleeping. Admittedly, it was nice to get a hot shower and as far as hostels go, this one was really upscale. So I tried not to complain. We got an early start the next day, anyway, after a quick breakfast of free brioche and made-to-order coffee. The coffee was pretty crappy, but hey it was free, and gave us the energy to face a ride in the metro that was as crowded as the streets of Venice during Carnevale. Thankfully, the sun came out and we got a taste of springtime for our last few hours of travel week. We saw the Coliseum and all the other ruins that I won't bother naming (though I will mentioned the Arch of Titus since I gave my speech at it).
The day ended back at St. Peter's. The Pope conducting his first mass was being televised on huge screens, so sometimes I watched that; sometimes I watched the sun set; sometimes I just watched people.
Then it was back on the bus for an 8 hour ride north to SBI. We watched Night at the Museum 2, and then 2012. Actually, I was the only one who watched 2012 from start to finish, of the 20 people on the bus. I did try to sleep, but those seats just weren't cut out for me. Anyway, I figured there wasn't much point since I was one of the students who hadn't actually finished the final project which was due at Friday's class, and when we got home at 3AM I stayed up until 7:30AM to finish it. It shouldn't have taken that long but there was chocolate and annoying music involved and Hannah and I got distracted when we figured out rice cakes can double as frisbees.
Hm.
That was travel week.
2 comments:
Wasn't Florence awesome! I didn't get to see David when I was there because he was being cleaned. It's too bad you didn't get to see the Sistine Chapel, but then, not seeing something because a new Pope is being chosen is a better excuse than cleaning.
Quick bathroom trip - NOT. Hehe sounds fun!
Post a Comment