 |
| Sky view of the FLX |
Walking through the gate into the courtyard of SBI was a lot like reaching the finish line of race, and more than a little like coming home. Though the past year and a half has felt so long and was filled to the brim with school and work and moving, all at once it collapsed on itself and it was like I'd never left. That feeling of familiarity, of normalcy, was a victory. I'm where I'm supposed to be for the next three months, and I don't regret forming the past year of my life around returning to Italy and Saints Bible Institute.
 |
| Above NYC |
I left the States a week and a day ago. My parents and younger sisters dropped me off at the Rochester airport. Saying goodbye only lasted a minute because there was nothing to do but get the security check over and done with. I definitely felt a little alone, but at my gate there was a Wegman's vending machine and suddenly I didn't feel so out of place. I got a bottle of water, changed the voicemail on my cellphone to let people know they'd have to email me to contact me, and then switched gates because their was a hold up and it was easier to move us to the plane than the plane to us.
I forgot how much I love flying. The sun was setting during my flight to NYC, sending horizontal beams of light into the clouds and the eastern darkness. I got particularly excited when I recognized that we were flying over the Finger Lakes. The arial view looked identical to all the maps I've seen. Imagine that! I also got to see Lady Liberty from afar for the second time.
 |
| 1st Sushi at Mela Rossa |
I have such low expectations of airports, having everything go so smoothly surprised me. Everyone at JFK (pretty snazzy airport if I do say so) was friendly. I didn't have any trouble catching a bus and got to my gate just as they were making the announcement that we could board. I quickly claimed my nice aisle seat on the right side of the plane. However, just as quickly, an older Italian woman, in patchy English, explained that she was traveling with her husband and would I please give up my seat and go sit in the middle of the middle.
On the inside, I died and thought not nice thoughts. On the outside, I exclaimed over and over again that it was no trouble and of course I'd be happy to help. As I started to have a panic attack about spending the next 8 hours stuck tight between two strangers, an Army guy who saw the whole thing go down announced to that section of the plane that if there were any seats that didn't fill up, they were mine. So when all was said and done I had two seats all to myself. God bless the US military.
 |
| Ragazzi at the Medieval Fest |
Per tradition, I didn't sleep on the flight, but I felt surprisingly good. The Venice customs officer stamped my passport (without re-inking his stamper so it's kinda light, dang it all) and let me right through. And my suitcase was waiting for me.
Even so, it was the best thing in the world to have the sliding doors open and see Caitlin, Lia, and Tom all waiting for me with hugs. We piled into the little Fiat and drove straight to San Lorenzo under a blue sky. I unpacked, went to bed a little early and slept like a rock. My second day was filled with staff meetings - the first of the morning at the bar, where we ran into Sam, who was getting Dylan gelato at 10AM before school. Best grandpa ever. Later we got lunch and per my brother's recommendation that I get some in Italy, I ate sushi for the first time (P.S. I kinda liked it). We got a European SIM card for my phone (I got a decent plan for only 13 euro a month. What the heck?) and then got right back to more meetings. The evening was a little more chill. Samuel and I picked up pizza, but while we were waiting for it some of the missionaries came into the restaurant for dinner. It was perfect, like how I run into friends at Atlas, except now I'm running into friends at a pizza place in Italy.
 |
| Blowing fire |
We stayed at the Spatola's really late considering we staffers were all jet lagged. But it's hard to pull away when you haven't seen someone in a while. Dylan is still super energetic, Claire is still adorable, and Amber still makes the best desserts. Basically, they ain't gettin' rid of me that easy.
 |
| They had too much fun |
I didn't sleep well at all the second night, but since then I've been doing fine and am trying to still get up early a few mornings a week to sneak in a run through the vineyards. Early mornings with the Alps are worth losing sleep over. Plus, unless there continues to be so much to do between duties here, homework for Liberty University, and my own agenda, there is that magical thing called
riposo where the city ordains that everyone quiet down for a couple hours in the afternoon. Naps all around.
 |
| I've gotten gelato 3x already! |
Saturday was orientation with the students and training into Pordenone for the afternoon so the students could get their first taste of Italian culture, gelato and espresso. That evening at dark, we walked to a nearby town because they were in the middle of their medieval festival. There was so much going on it was hard to take it all in. Some of us went back Sunday afternoon, and that was better. Though we missed the jousting, we did get to see a bunch of men competitively wrestle each other as unprofessionally as little boys on a playground. It was hysterical. I've been laughing so much the past few days, I love it. It's wonderful to let go and relax a little. Though it's an unusually small semester with only 9 students, we've got a great group. They are all gems and I'm confidant doing life with them the next three months will be swell. We'll all learn a lot.
3 comments:
I love the pictures and everything!
Yayy!!! I'm so glad you're having a great experience thus far.
This is really great- keep writing when you can!
Post a Comment