Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Actually, Maybe, Never Turn Around and Go Home to the House Full of Anthropologie Things

I've always been sensitive, but I never experienced the typical emotional swings of puberty. When I'm unexpectedly emotional I blame it on not getting it out of my system when I was fourteen. For instance, this morning, there was snow on the sidewalk and I suddenly pictured Isaac in our childhood home shoveling off the deck, our deck that was always unfinished even though we started building it when I was six. And then I saw my grandpa springing up the two sets of deck steps and letting himself in. He apologized for letting in the cold too and for tracking in snow. He blew his nose in his handkerchief. And then he smiled, and his ears were so big his hat didn't cover them all the way.

It was a wonderful, happy memory and I shared it with Maryah as I stood up from the table where I'd been eating oatmeal in our rented dining room, walked over to the rented sink. The second I finished telling it, though, my smiling lips quivered. I washed my bowl to regain composure, sorting through all the emotions that had just collided on a clear highway on a sunny day.

Perhaps I am prone to this sort of weakness because I was recently close to another death. This past month I had the privilege of helping put on my neighbor's funeral. The Catholic church is only a few blocks from my house, but I had never been inside. The service, which found me in the cold, pale blue, musty nave on a Friday afternoon, was one metaphor after another, each ritual charged with symbolism. The priest's kind eloquence masked my uncertainty—born of my protestant-ness—when I stood before the small gathering of mourners. There were more people in the choir than there were in the congregation.

My formal black dress is sleeveless, and I'd wrapped myself in a gray-blue scarf to stay warm, but I still kept getting chills. I was happy when I was back in my car. I had parked on the street, in the sun, and the black leather interior was warm. I sat there, thinking about the brief, excruciatingly intimate period of time I'd known my neighbor, and thinking again, for the millionth time, about converting to Catholicism.

Wouldn't that be ironic. Protestant girl who went to Italy twice to evangelize Catholics becomes Catholic herself.

I digress...the metaphors and the ties to tradition are appealing, but I can't cash in on reformed doctrine, no matter how painful it gets sometimes. 

It's not like I don't have metaphors to keep me company. Take running, for example (I'm so thankful the apostle Paul liked writing about running).

let us run with endurance the race that is set before us (Hebrews 12.1)

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. (1 Cor. 9.24)

Running and I have been hanging out again lately. I mean, we've been going steady for years, but sometimes it's more intense than others.  

Last week, preceding this nor'easter, we were under a wind advisory. It was a little fierce. I decided to complete an out-and-back running route: west before east. The first half was hard because running into a strong wind is hard. You expend more effort than usual and accomplish less than usual. But when I turned around and ran with the wind, the air felt still, smooth. The mid-morning sun warmed my chilled, salty skin. The stars (i.e., blood sugar, lack of muscle soreness, hormones, good night's sleep, playlist) aligned and I found the sweet spot pace—a little under 10 min/mile, for me—and the last half was almost easy.

I run because I'm in search of a metaphor. Every time I run, I find one. It's often the same metaphor, but I need to experience it over and over again. I live off of metaphors. Especially this one: it's hard, but it will be worth it.

The key is not to turn around out of the wind and head home too soon.

Don't head home too soon.

Actually, maybe, never turn around. 

Running is horrible. But, a little like Eric Liddell (I'm sure not to the same extent), "When I run I feel God's pleasure."

I'm still looking for the career/post-college-work scenario equivalent to running. Something that, even if it's horrible, I feel God's pleasure while doing it.

Something that's not comfortable.

Something that's not boring.

Something that doesn't come with health insurance, or a retirement plan, or paid vacation, even though that's what my degree could land me in, instantly.

Life is short, and I'm constantly aware of my mortality. On the one hand, that makes me want to build a huge stone wall topped with barbed wire around a stone house full of Anthropologie things and stay safe in it, with multiple insurance policies. I want stability, the 9 to 5, organic apples, a family doctor who stays my doctor for 20 years, the same set of friends who come over every Friday night, and the go-to vacation spot.

But then there's the voice coming from my other shoulder, that says that's not the life I was made for, that water breaks are okay, but let's stretch out the faith and run.

Bear in mind that I write this from the comfort of a huge leather armchair, in slippers and a cozy sweater with a cup of sleepy-time tea. And I will probably be a suck-up and take a county job and do the American thing and spend my first paycheck in Anthropologie.

But, in these final two months of being a grad student, I'll dream while I can. Dream of being more courageous than I am.

They acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city. (Hebrews 11:13-16 ESV)

No comments: