Monday, October 16, 2006

Grapes, Grapes, GRAPES!

Group shot
People who went: Cornfields, Efthimious, Biezers, Jerors, Youngs, Mrs. Cornfields sister, CassieAnna, Dell, and the daughter of the Weavers (they were the people who owned the grape farm)
YUM! There was basically a 3 step prosess in cold pressing the grapes. First they would mash the grapes up, then they would be put in this other contraption that squezzed all the liquid out of the grapes (the stems and such were compostid) and then all the juice was put in a HUGE tub (shown here) and stirred.
At home we boiled and canned it
Sanna ate sooooo many grapes!

And we picked so many grapes! To get enough to go through the coldpresser, we had to pick (as a group) 270lbs.!We had a blast today. Plus we got school off which rocked! I love picking fruit. Hopefully we'll be able to go apple picking sometime soon. The cold pressing is really cool becuase the last times we've gone grape picking by ourselves, we've had to steam the grapes ourselves. We have a steamer but since we'd pick so many grapes Mom and Dad would be litterally up all night so that the grapes woudn't go bad. I think I've decided that I like grape picking the best. Though I love apple picking too. Then there's cherry picking. And blueberrys. Did I mention strawberrys? Hehehe, I have trouble makeing decisions. (As if you haven't noticed:o)Now we have 9 gallons of grape juice to drink through the winter and I can't wait!

5 comments:

Joy said...

yummy. It sounds like you had a BLAST!!

Delian said...

Oh mattea... good times!!!!! Thanks for taking pictures!!!! And very good post!

Anonymous said...

Anytime...:o)

Anna.Victoria said...

That was a fun day!!! I think I ate more than I picked though :-)
Yeah...it was good to see ya matty!!!

mattea kiriel said...

You know we still need to get togther Anna...