Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Snap, Crackle, and Pop

No, that's not my bowl of rice crispies. I am trying very hard to break a habit: cracking my knuckles. Its easier said than done, because I've cracked them so much over my lifetime they crack by themselves. So yesterday, I only intentionally popped 1 finger twice. So far I've done it once or twice today as well. And its only half way through the day....arg. People always tell me that cracking, pulling, and popping you knuckles will cause arthritis one day. But only some people. Some doctors say there's no harm done, others say STOP!! So I've decided to do just that: stop. I figure after a week of trying really hard not to crack my knuckles, they'll get to the point where they just plain won't pop. (I hope that anyways). Besides, it annoys me when people crack their knuckles, so it must annoy people when I crack my own knuckles. lol 
What makes knuckles pop? Around that area there is a vacuum filled with fluid (this is natural). However, when you pull on your knuckles enough, this vacuum is broken, releasing the fluid and a "popping noise". Supposedly this isn't bad for you if you do it no more than 50 times a day. BUT other doctors say its terrible for you. So I think I'll just play its safe and try to stop. Besides, its better manners not to do it anyway right?

Its is officially Autumn. Gotta love that silent "n" on the end of that word. I think thats why this season has 2 names, "Fall" and "Autumn". The latter is for those who can spell and the former is for those of us who are....spellingly challenged. Anywho. Its crazy beautiful out. Orange, gold, red, bits of pale green and the deep green from pine trees. The air smells and tastes and feels like fall. 2 days ago I even dragged out my winter clothes from Mom's closet and put my summer ones away. I am wearing jeans, which is neat seeing as I haven't worn them for several months, but shorts have "freedom and fun" written all over them. I have to put a sweatshirt on if I want to go outside. Every morning my little sister wakes up and the second thing out of her mouth (after "I'm hungry") is, "Can we build a pile and jump in the leaves yet?!!?!!". Hehe, I remember when just a couple of years ago I would go out and rake the yard, all excited, when there was only about 1 fallen leaf per square foot.  The one thing I don't like about fall is that the sky is gray seemingly all the time. Yesterday I got my first low-pressure headache of the season. (I always get these little annoying headaches behind my eyes during the fall). 

Aside from school, the "only" thing we did was go up to the Aderondaks for Dad to make a delivery. Andrew even took a day of college off to come with us. I'm trying to enjoy the un-hecticness of life right now because a storm is brewing. For the past month my sister and I have been helping my Grandma clean/sort through everything that is stored in her loft from a quilt shop she used to own. That stuff has just been sitting up there in piles for years so we got it all cleaned, organized and priced. We put some adds in the newspaper and so we will be running a 5 day "reunion and sale"(I'm supposed to be on the cash register *nervous grin* with my cousin Anna). That is October 14-18. Also going on that week: my Papa T has aneurisms on the back of  both his knees. So he needs surgery and will be in hospital for 5 days. My Grancy is still really depressed and dependent on people so she won't be able to take care of herself while he is gone. Mom can't be with her that whole time because of us 6 kids and Maryah and I (the main "second moms") will be helping Grandma. So My Uncle Eric and his wife and kids are flying up from FL to stay at the Inn to help (which means the inn must be cleaned and prepared for them and of course Mom will want this whole house clean seeing as we'll have "company" all week long). And this all happens the 14-18!!!! *frantic scream*. Mom is giving us school off though, for which I am entirely thankful.

*inhale* 

*exhale* 

*yoga move* 

10 comments:

Andrew said...

hmmm... I still think it's ok as long as you aren't doing it ever five minutes or something.

sherlock said...

Thank goodness I can't hear your knuckles cracking over the internet. ;)

I don't think it will kill you, and it might be kind of annoying to others, but does that really matter?

You N.Y people make me so jealous with your fall colors and things. We just have slightly different looking green. And cool air (which I love). Maybe i'll go to college up there or something.

yoga move? try pilates, it's harder say but closer to pirates!

sherlock said...

Just read your thankful post. Beat me by four. Drat. There's always november, then I'll pull out fifty... four?

mattea kiriel said...

I don't really do yoga. Or if I do its just to poke fun at it. lol

That's funny, I was thinking of going to college down there.

Anonymous said...

Don't. It stinks down here.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen my mom's knuckles? They're rather large, and they got that way by popping them, so I think you're wise. It is kinda fun though.

You know what, I think that is the weekend we're coming up there. Figures. Just when you're the busiest.

Praying for you.

~Hanh

mattea kiriel said...

Hey, well Hannah, I'm sure we could reserve some space for you!!

And Sherlock, yeah I'm probably not going to college down there now. Basically I always thought when I as younger (and even at the beginning of this summer) that I would.....but now I don't think I could be that far from home :)

mattea kiriel said...

*was younger

not "as younger"

sherlock said...

I would not have let you review fireproof. Because I do not like those kind of movies. and you would like it.

Hence the conflict.




;)

mattea kiriel said...

Why don't you like them? And no, i probably wasn't going to review it anyways seeing as it'll be 6 months until i see it.