Saturday, December 06, 2008

Christmas Tree Adventure

As I sit here typing I can look right up and see our freshly cut, lighted, and decorated christmas tree. We got a really fat one this year since we have so much room in the diningroom/living room. So it sits in the exact middle of the room--which is a first. Another thing we haven't done in a while is use colored lights. Normally Dad likes white but this year we decided to go "all out". lol At the christmas tree farm we did the usual though. First, we grabbed our saw and a cart, then headed out to the field. We then did a big walk-around stopping every now and then to make circles around certain trees we might like. If the tree look good, we did the sniff test to make sure it smelled good. (Last year our sniffers didn't work so well because the tree smelled like cat pee :-p). Well, we found one that looked good, and half the family thought it smelled orangey/piney (the other half thought it smelled like you know what). Misha and I got out the tape measure and it was just 6 inches to tall. Dad said we could work with that. So we marked that one, and then continued our jaunt through the field. With no success. So we walked back to the one most of us liked and again walked around it half a dozen times, and smelled it two dozen times. Finally we came to the agreement that yes it looked good, and yes it smelled orangey/piney. But then we asked ourselves "are we SURE this is the one? Are we SURE we don't want to go look in the field across the road??" But Mom said (she usually has the final voice in the christmas tree matter) "YES this is THE ONE". And that was that. Dad cut it down and Isaac and I caught it in the cart, and then started rolling it towards the gift shop/paying place. (Andrew would have been the one to do that job but he was doing an interview for college and therefore was not able to join us. Pity. Because we usually laugh more when he's with us). Then we got hot chocolate and cookies and warmed up by the fire. (it was 19 out this morning). Dad loaded the tree on the trailer and off we went back home. It took a while to get it to stand up straight, but after a while we did it. Gave it sugar water, did the lights....ornaments....all that jazz. And listened to christmas music. Yesterday we made and hung paper chains so the house looks very festive at present. We still have to put lights up outside though. 

I hope it snows. We had plenty of snow but it melted. :-( Ho Hum. Or rather Ho Ho Ho Hum right?lol.....cheesy I know. Mom says my humor is cheesy. Meaning people only laugh because what I said was rather stupid...and obvious. Hehehehe. All well. It is the Christmas season. And I am very glad of that. If we didn't have Christmas I don't know what I'd do. The world is so terrible but this time of year almost everyone is just a little bit happier. You know on CNN they announced (or rather admitted) that happiness is, in fact, contagious. But of course the bible says that in a million places so its not exactly new news. But hey, if CNN admits that it is....that's a step in the right direction :)

8 comments:

sherlock said...

Merry Christmas
(i.e I don't have time to read it right now!)

sherlock said...

Haha, Mattea, an episode of "The Simpsons" is all about the bees dying! Didn't you post about that?

mattea kiriel said...

Yeah, I did. lol, thats great.

Anonymous said...

So, Mr. Sherlock has time to watch The Simpsons but not read Mattea's blog, huh? lol.

I thought you Ws were allergic to pine. We're artificial again this year. It's kinda nice being able to bend the branch to support the ornament.

~han

mattea kiriel said...

Isaac is, and Mom is somewhat, but everyone loves getting a real tree anyway.

Anonymous said...

Technically Mr. Sherlock isn't really allowed to watch the simpsons. Mr. Sherlock just saw the teaser for it....



Alright. Now I have read it. Good post!

Lol

Anonymous said...

: D han isn't really allowed to watch the Simpsons either.

too bad for Isaac. He'll just have to do school outside, I guess. : ( Tell him we'll adopt him for Christmas!

-H

Anonymous said...

hahahahaa