WAHOOO!!!
We are going with the Spano's, like we do every year, but we've never gone camping this long before. So I guess by the end of the week we'll truly know wether we like each other or not. lol. Some of us are staying in a yurt (a round, tent-like building), but Andrew, Isaac and I will be braving the wilds next door in....you guessed it. A TENT. Oh horrors. No, lol, I'm looking forward to it -- I love sleeping in tents, because I always sleep really well in them for some reason (though the fact that I sleep well might have something to do with the fact that we don't go to bed till midnight or 1 am sometimes.....and then get up at 6:30 am.....:p). And then when we wake up we will have a bowl of lucky charms for breakfast (the only time of the year mom will buy them), or, we'll fry up some eggs and bacon over the campfire. And then we'll cook lunch over the camfire, and then we'll cook supper over the campfire and then we'll cook dessert over the campfire....you get the point. hahahaha
There's also the lake to swim in, not-catch-fish in (we've only ever got one or two......much to my delight, and the boys' dismay), and go boating in. If you have a boat. Which we don't. But you can rent a canoe or a paddle boat, if you want to. One might also find it fun catching spiders in the bathroom. lol, actually, they aren't so bad now that the bathrooms are new (*grins*). We also always play Birchtown, which is a game we invented probably 9 years ago. Everyone has their own shop, and we make things out of nature, or crush up powders from bark.......and then sell them for the much valued birch leaf, which is our currency (and very strong, I might add. We haven't had a recession yet. Take THAT Obama).
Sometimes we'll play telephone (be sure to play it with Misha and Sanna, then its bound to get the message messed up). Or we'll tell stories....sometimes made up, sometimes real. I'm sure there will be plenty of stories -- Lizzy just got back today from spending several months in France, England, and Italy. Between her and Andrew there shall be plenty of stories 'round the campfire.
I'm going to take some fun books along to read as well. Mom decided to have me read British literature this summer, but I'm going to take a break and read some fun books, that actually have happy endings. I just finished reading Lord of the Flies, which was very gripping but gross and sad too. Before that I read A Severe Mercy, the autobiography by Sheldon Vanauken. It is the most beautiful book I have ever read in my life, but also the saddest.
So yes, I will be sure to take along some fun books. I decided to start reading the *award winning* Beverly Lewis book series, "Abram's Daughters". The first two were pretty good, so I hope to check out the third one......
I have also decided that no technology shall accompany me to the campground. That's right, no ipod, no computer, no TV.....however I will bring my cellphone, for emergencies (one time Mr. Spano got lost on a trail...good thing he had a cell phone with him). And we'll also take our crank-up-solar-powered radio. But I don't think radio really counts as technology. (Seeing as it doesn't give you eye problems, or make you fat....well, maybe it could but....probably not easily ;)
Wait a sec. What will happen if I need to know something, and can't because I don't have google to answer my question??!!??!! What if I need to know how many avocados grow on an average avocado tree??! Or what if I need to know what "bifurcate" means, or when King George III was born????!!!! Or what the English translation is of "成交在门的某人的" is??!!!!!!!!!!!
That's it. I'm off to pack a dictionary. And a world encyclopedia too.
7 comments:
BTW. If you are wondering, "bifurcate" means "to split into two paths, or forks". The Chinese scrawlings mean "Somebody's knocking at the door."
Did you get that word from Oh Brother Where Art Though?
Thou*
The Economy comment made me laugh really hard.
(I've been taking a computer break this past month)
I'm being buried alive by sheet music, musical notes, numbers, and rhythm! AaaaaaaAAAaaaAA! I am surviving, however. I hope you survive the great outdoors!
~Han
No, I didn't get it from O Brother Where Art Thou. I just looked up "large words" and saw bifurcate in a list.
Post a Comment