Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Permit-sion to Drive

Its been ages since I've posted, but nothing worth writing about has happened....or anything happy anyway. My cousins moved down to Florida, taking Andrew with them for a week, and that was sad.

HOWEVER

Today something worth writing about happened.

I got my drivers permit!!!! *victory dance!!!*

It took me forever, seeing as I'm now 16 and a half, but I have some good excuses. Not that I need to give excuses to my blogger friends; these excuses are to all the people who as soon as they hear I'm 16 ask "Are you driving yet?!". And then I give my little weak response, "well....no, actually". And then they say, "oh well, of course you don't need a license. You have a boyfriend to take you everywhere." Me to them: *pathetic little laugh* "um, no." Me to myself: YUCK!

So on with the excuses. I am part of a family of 6 kids (yes Andrew is technically still a kid, even though he's been to Italy), and the ones younger than 15 don't know how to take care of themselves by themselves. I am pretty much chief babysitter, so its hard for Mom to leave the house with me. Well, once is easy. Twice not so much. First I have to get a physical at the doctors that is 45 minutes away and have them sign papers and check boxes and proclaim that I am fine even though I already knew that I was fine. Then we have to actually make the permit test trip. The silly place is only open on Wednesdays from 9-3:30. And then if there is a holiday anywhere in the vicinity, they close.

It took the whole summer to get an open Wednesday. So today we went. The place was jam packed and we had to wait an hour until it was my turn. Before we entered the building I felt very confidant. After sitting there an hour, I was very nervous. Especially when I heard one girl tell the man "I failed". And then another Mom told us how her daughter had failed the permit test 3 times. Although all the people working there were really nice, most of the customers where frustrated easily, and down right grouchy.

But all's well that ends well, or so they say. I got up there, signed the papers in the right spot, aced the vision test, and missed only one question on the knowledge test. So now I have a nifty piece of paper in my wallet allowing me drive with anyone over 21 (or with a spouse of at least 18 years of age LOL). The one downer is that I'm not allowed to drive out of state, which is a bummer, because where we live most of our business takes us to New York. All well. I'm just happy to have it. Its about time I did. :-)

6 comments:

Andrew said...

congrats : )

Nice blog template by the way.

Josiah said...

WOOOHOO! I'm uber excited for you!
(when I first read that, I thought you were saying you had a boyfriend, just one that wouldn't drive you places. and i was like, wow mattea... wow. you think you know a person. ha ha ha)

Now imagine the frustration of having that slip of paper for 2 stinkin years and only driving about 6 times. not that i'm bitter or anything.

mattea said...

nope, I've put boyfriends on the same list as facebook. lol :p

Aw yeah, I know. I pictured myself getting my permit and then driving everywhere. But I haven't gotten in the drivers seat once since then.

han said...

I'm so happy you got it on the first try! Do you know how rare that is?!!

Yeah, having a permit doesn't change how much you get to drive, huh?! How many hours do you have to put in before you can get your license?

I can't wait until I turn 18 and my state lets me drive with more than one unrelated kid in the backseat. It's such a pain when you baby sit.

han said...

p.s. compared to the kids around here, you're rather young to be getting your permit. it must be more dangerous on our roads or something, because parents wait a long time until they let their kids drive. anyway, I'm excited for you!

mattea kiriel said...

Thanks hannah! I'll have to put in 50 hours of driving.

I'm not sure if it has to do with how the roads are. Ours are really bad (you hear about teens dying every year on this one road near us) but we can get a permit at 16. If I lived in New York, I could still get a permit but I'd have to attend a one-afternoon safety course + 30 hours of driving to get a license. In FL you can get your permit at 15.....

I don't know how/why they have all those different rules.