"We must not think of the things we could do with, but only of the things that we can't do without."
"Each person has what he doesn't want, and the other people have what he does want."
Okay, that's it for the words of wisdom...here are the funny ones (which far out number the ones with a moral :p)
"That tooth brush of mine will be the death of me, I know."
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it before hand."
"In that moment I forgave all my friends and relations for their wickedness and cussedness, and I blessed them."
"The most exciting is [your boat] being towed by girls. It is a sensation nobody ought to miss. It takes 3 girls to tow always; 2 hold the rope and the other one runs round and round and giggles."
"I asked my cousin if she thought it could be a dream, and she replied that she was just about to ask me the same question; and then we both wondered if we were both asleep, and if so, who was the real one that was dreaming, and who was the one that was only a dream; it got quite interesting."
"How good one feels when one is full--how satisfied with ourselves and with the world!"
"I yearn for the good old days, when you could go about and tell people what you thought of them with a hatchet and a bow and arrows."
"Then we cleaned up and put everything straight (a continual labor, which was beginning to afford me a pretty clear insight into a question that has often posed me--namely, how a woman with the work of only one house, manages to pass away her time)."
[Harris is swimming and suddenly someone grips him by the neck and puts him underwater. When he is released and turns around the "someone" says] "'I really beg your pardon, but I took you for a friend of mine!' Harris thought it was lucky for him the man had not mistaken him for a relation, or he would probably have been drowned outright."
"The mildest tempered people, when on land, become violent and blood thirsty when in a boat."
LOL
And.....that's all I've got :)
Oh wait no, that's not all I've got. Here's another quote--a haiku, actually. I got it from the Wall Street Journal....the guy who wrote it is a presidential candidate in Brussels, who apparently suffers from chrome-dome-syndrome.
Hair blows in the wind
After years there is still wind
Sadly no more hair
-Herman Van Rompuy
I don't know his political standpoint, but gosh darnit, he writes good poetry! And that's what counts right? So I think I might just vote for him if I lived in Brussels!!
4 comments:
I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!
sorry. just had to get that out of my system.
I am now getting that book.....
In response to your music comment:
It would be weird of me to say "i'm proud of you" since we are the same age. But that's the general feeling I got after reading your comment.
It's cool that your choosing to follow that verse so rigidly. Rigidly is a bad word for that. But your dedicated to pursuing what God has set as your standard. Which is cool.
I think God has allowed me to listen to a little bit more then he has some of my peers. However, as you can tell from the post, it easily gets out of hand.
I think part of what makes it so hard for me is that I LOVE music. It's seriously an idol. I LOVE music like i LOVE food. I can't go without it. I just can't. I have songs playing through my mind (usually of my own making ha ha) all day. I relish the tiny ability i have with a piano, and hope to get hardcore-good asap. So its hard for me to listen to a lot of christian music, since it's written with lyrics, not music, in mind.
Anyway, thanks for the comment! Gives me something to think on. :D
Hahaha...yeah...dont be proud of me :p ;)
And I know what you mean about C. music not being really very "artsy".
But you know, if God has given you a gift, or a least a desire, to play music, I'm glad you are pursuing it-- you definitely should be. And you should be useing the proper tools to pursue it. And if you feel that secular music is one of those tools, than go for it, if you think thats something God is "cool with". God has definitely made us all unique and what is not good for one person, IS good for another. God has also made some people be able to filter what goes in to their brain better than others.
Most of my friends do listen to secular music, and in most of them, I see no negative affects because of it. It hasn't harmed them, because they are grounded enough. Most of them anyway. One of my friends has a problem with swearing--he can't catch himself in time, and stop it, even though he knows its wrong. And I have a feeling its somehow related to the fact that most of the music he listens to is filled with those words.
I might just have to read that book again! That was a good haiku. Chrome-dome syndrome; I hadn't heard that one before, lol.
<3
Post a Comment