~crazy scientist lady on Horton Hears a Who
Speaking of earthquakes. That is the reason i haven't been blogging because I've used every spare minute watching the news. Poor Haiti. My heart breaks for them! Such a loss.....all those lives....I wish I had the medical training to go down and help! Not that I could actually get there. My one friend, who is a nurse, asked the Red Cross if he could volunteer in Haiti, and they said they weren't accepting! They had no way of getting him there, and didn't have the organization to allow him to help people even if he did get there. I know as of yesterday all flights were grounded to Haiti. Flights full of medical personal, food, water..... So now we have mass graves and "stupid" deaths.
We were watching CNN, and Dr. Sanja Gupta was reporting from one of the tent hospitals. Well, apparently the hospital was in an insecure area, so the UN ordered them out. So the doctors and nurses had to go, leaving 25 injured, just-out-of-surgery people to fend for themselves. So Sanja set down his microphone, and started tending to those people who had just been abandoned. It was just him, his stethoscope, and his camera crew. Props to Sanja Gupta, but how can the UN do that? Those doctors did not want to go, but they had to. I'm really feeling frustrated with how this is going. And I'm not sure who's to blame. I actually think America is doing a pretty good job, but the Haiti government (or lack of one) just keeps getting in the way. If I were president, I'd get 100,000 troops, and take over Haiti simply by a show of force, and then get some central organization going on so we could really help the Haitians. My Dad's idea was to get all of our cruise ships docked off of Haiti, and put the people on them. Each cruise ship has a weeks supply of (good, yummy) food, and a lot of basic medical supplies, and with all the people on those ships for a week, it would give us enough time to get organized with supplies and make-shift houses on the ground.
As if that would actually happen. But yeah, that's how I would handle the situation.
Oh yes, and the other thing! 900 families in the USA have children in Haiti that they are in the process of adopting. Because of the quake, all of their paperwork is GONE, not to mention the actual orphanages. I say to ---- with paperwork and get those kids to their families!! We can't let them die! Paperwork can wait until later--obviously this is a life and death situation.
There. I feel better now. Definitely helps to rant.
No comments:
Post a Comment