Thursday, March 11, 2010

Waves & Rays


After spending a fun weekend of college touring, fishing (lol), church, and bbq with our cousins, we left Tallahassee in search of sunshine. And that is what we've spent the whole week doing: chasing sunshine. It worked well until today, when the whole state of FL is experiencing thunderstorms and flash flood warnings.

We spent Monday and part of Tuesday on Amelia Island, which is a cute little town with not much to do. Hence, we decided to come to Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach. Plenty of palm trees. Lots of sunshine. Tons of sand and saltwater. Which means it's the perfect place to be. (Aside from the sunburnt, bikini clad tourists, it really is perfect lol). Yesterday we spent the whole morning at the beach. I built a "star" sand castle, took some pictures, caught some waves, and a few too many rays. (Yes, I joined the sunburnt tourist club....I have yet to don a bikini though). Mostly, I watched other people catch waves. There were a couple surfers, one of whom was pretty decent at it. So I studied his technique, just in case I get a chance to do it myself. Yeah. Fat chance. Hahaha....

After the beach we went to a manatee park. We didn't actually see any manatees, but it was a beautiful spot to be at anyway. Then we walked around the "historic village of Cocoa" and got some ice cream.

Today we visited an elderly couple who we know from back home, but come to Florida each winter. They gave us some tips about what all is good to do. Pretty much we already did it all. Hahaa....The attraction here is: 1) the beach and 2) NASA. We wanted to do NASA but its like $40 a person....and with 8 people.....you do the math, I'm on vacation. So now we know how the space program is funded.

This afternoon we spent bouncing between surf shops, the grocery store, and the hotel. We actually had a tornado warning, which was immensely fun, so to be safe we went down to the lobby for an hour while the watch was on. It came to nothing though, so we just contented ourselves by staring at the driving rain.

Tomorrow we are going back to Tallahassee for the weekend. I'm looking forward to it--I'm terrible, I've only been gone a few days and I miss my cousins a lot. :-p

6 comments:

han said...

Hey, I miss my cousins, and they're only a mile away. No wonder you miss yours.

Ugh, NASA is expensive. That's too bad.

I wish you could come to orchestra practice with me tonight!

xoxo

mattea said...

Aw, hope your practice went well!!!!

han said...

it was okay. we practiced one song the whole 1 and a half hours, but oh well. we were also down a few musicians. Dvorak is always fun.

how are you transitioning back out of vacation mode?

mattea kiriel said...

It's hard! Hahaha...yesterday I slept in by accident, and even when I woke up I just laid there in bed...until I realized "what am I doing?? I have school to do!!"

I also find it annoying to have to do my chores again. Lazy lazy me....lol but I'll get back in the groove pretty soon here (I hope :-)

sherlock said...

Ugh! I keep losing your blog in all the shuffle of bookmarks cluttering up my internet! See what happens when I miss a month? You visit my state and I don't even know!!!

sherlock said...

Oh my goodness! 20 minutes?!

Promise to let me know next time your in town! I can take you guys to see the *ahem* sights...

"And this is the Starbucks where I think up my posts..."

"This is the keyboard I post on..."

"There is a cockroach. Our state has an abundance of tropical insects that I do not miss when I visit your state."