Monday, July 26, 2010

My Painting that I Didn't Paint

Last Thursday we headed off to a "local" (as in within 40 minutes away) coffee shop to hear a one-man-band known as "Pocket Vinyl" play. Actually there were two artists as well. You see, the piano-harmonica-guitar-singing dude named Eric does his thing while he has an artist (in this case he had two) paint impromptu pictures, of whatever is inspiring them at that moment. After the show, there is a silent bidding that takes place to support him and the artists. Apparently, at this show they made out pretty good even though there were only about 15 people there. All of whom were friends of either Eric or the guy hosting the show. So yeah, pretty sad and pathetic because he is quite good at singing and playing. Anyway, part of the reason they did good was because Mom and I each bought one of the 4 paintings :-p. Mine is shown in the picture. Please excuse the low resolution and the fact that it is a mirror image and thus backwards (it was just a quick mac-photo) and the fact that my arms are coming out of nowhere.

I have an affinity for elephants so when I asked Journey what exactly she was thinking by painting this, she said the whole thing was completely random. "Okay" I said....so draw your own conclusion about what exactly is happening in the picture. I am thinking that those blackbirds up in the corners alerted the elephant that there was a fox stuck at the bottom of the waterfall (that is the "spray" at the bottom of the painting) so the elephant grabbed some vines, looped them around itself, and then let down the vines so the fox could climb up them and be rescued. That is my impression. Yours will probably be different. I like to think that it is a rather happy picture, but my one friend called it "morbidly depressing." Which okay yeah, I can see where she is coming from...but I'll look on the bright side thank you very much.

It was a fun evening. Got to hang out with some people from Grace Community Church that I don't usually get to see all that often. And got to bid on my first item ever...and not only bid on it, but win it too! Ha ha.

Yesterday we went blueberry picking for the first time of the season. So this morning I was able to eat blueberries on my cheerios, which is oh so yummy. It gave me the energy I needed to go clean my Papa T and Grandma Nancy's house...and also to take care of my neighbor's animals. "Neighbors" meaning they are about 5 miles from here lol. It's just this single woman who went out to Michigan to visit relations and she has 3 cats and a horse (!) that need feeding every morning. Feeding the cats is boring and gross what with litter and canned catfood and all that, but taking care of Banner, the horse, is very fun. This was my 3rd morning doing it, so about 7 more mornings to go.

4 comments:

sherlock said...

I didn't read this post!

han said...

Sherlock you're hilarious.

Wow, five miles? Do you run there? Ugh, cat litter makes me sneeze. Banner....why does that name ring a bell?

han said...

i like the painting. : )

mattea said...

No, thankfully Mom or Dad would drive me. There are several wicked hills between my house and hers, so even biking was out of the question (in my mind anyway).