Saturday, July 17, 2010

Wax on, Wax off, Wasp on, Wasp GET OFF

I now know how the karate kid felt when he was made to wax cars as part of his instruction. Have you ever waxed a car? It is HARD! I never really thought it was that difficult until I actually did it. Dad is planning on selling one of our cars so he had all of us kids detail cleaning it. When it came time to wax, Isaac applied it and then I followed behind working it in (which is by far the harder job, if you ask me--not that I'm complaining). After doing just half of the car my shoulders and arms were aching like nobodies business. By the time we finished, I was so weak I had to go sit on the couch for a few minutes to recuperate. I had discovered muscles I didn't know I had. Boy where they making themselves heard now. And now I have a new appreciation for people who wax cars for a living...and for the karate kid.

Later this afternoon I decided to go for a run. I had gone over a mile, and was heading back home via trails in our woods. That's when it happened. To my left, just a foot away, I noticed a huge, papery soccerball-shape thing lying on the ground. And it was covered with little yellow and black winged bugs. *yipes* I thought, and darted out of there AFAP. (A new acronym I just thought up: As Fast As Possible). It wasn't fast enough, however. I hadn't taken two steps and I felt the stinging pain. I looked down at my left ankle and tried to brush the wasp away, but it was too late. And then the pain kicked in double time. So there I was, in the middle of the woods, 3/4 of a mile from home, crippled in pain. Okay fine, I wasn't completely crippled but I was limping. And feeling completely helpless and foggy-minded. So I just started hobbling back towards home, trying not to cry. And yet at the same time feeling giddy with thankfulness that I wasn't allergic like many of my friends and relatives are.

About half way home, it started to hurt less and was more achy than stingy/burning. So I made it back okay, and got some ice on it. BUT that just confirmed my worst fear of something bad happening to me on a run, and me getting stuck out there. Granted, my parents would notice my absence after more than an hour had gone by....and granted, that was only a wasp sting--but worst things can and do happen. Hum. I think I might start carrying a medic kit along with me lol.

Or, perhaps since I finally got hurt today, chances of my getting hurt again are slim. Perhaps. I don't know how that works. Or if it does work at all.

2 comments:

han said...

Neat profile pic! I really like it.

Yeeeeee, what a scary story. Can you carry your cell phone with you? I don't suppose it could get enough bars everywhere. ugh.

mattea kiriel said...

We don't get service anywhere around here (for about 5 miles), except for a bar at the top of the upper driveway that allows you to text. :(

And thanks! Maryah took that candid photo and I decided I liked it, and was really tired of my old profile picture!