Friday, November 19, 2010

An Ode to Wavy Hair

NOTE: the following is not a pity party. Or an angry party. Please do not take pity one me...well, you could it you really want to, but I wouldn't suggest it. I just had fun getting this out of my system.

How come this world is so biased towards flat-ironed hair? How come if you don't have perfectly straight shiny hair everyone thinks "bleck"? I can understand flat ironed hair looks more professional than other hair types, but how come you can't have curly hair in this world? In a culture that screams at you to be "unique" and "individual"....you really can't be. They want you to be unique, but unique that adheres to "their" standards. So it's not really unique anymore.

As is common knowledge, I have naturally wavy/curly/frizzy/unmanageable hair. It wasn't always like that--until I was 12 it was perfectly straight. Then it started kinking up, and hasn't stopped since. Now, I like my wavy hair. Even if sometimes I want to rip it all off my head because it's being such a pain. Even if it causes tons of problems. It's the hair God gave me. OKAY PEOPLE!? I can't change it. Well, I could. If I believed in chemicals. But since I don't....

Yes, I admit, some people DO like curly hair. You've all seen the Pantene commercials of those girls swinging around their lovely silky locks. But seriously, who but hollywood can get hair like that? NO ONE! Unless they have lots of time on their hands and the only thing they care about is their hair!!

So, for the most part, it's flat ironed hair that is the go-go. I know this because it's only when I flat iron my hair that people compliment me on it. Like, you can feel their audible sigh of relief that you've got your hair under control...for once. And they kind of look at you, and smile....and then they say "I REALLY like it when you straighten your hair." And then you get like seriously 10 more compliments from other people. Thanks people! Thanks. Might as well just say you think my tousled, curly strands are the opposite of beautiful. Yes, I admit, there is a little bit of frizz. But natural is the way to go! I mean, I can get rid of the frizz if I want my hair to look like plastic. But who likes plastic hair? Not me. So I'll just let the frizz do what it wants. I'm okay with it. So why can't YOU be okay with it?

The other thing: like the only time boys flirt with me is when I have straight hair! What is up with that? Not that I WANT to be flirted with. Actually I really don't like when they do. Its not fun. But why do they only do it when my hair is straight?

How come the whole world has to be against naturally curly hair? And world! Do you know how long it takes me to straighten my hair? ONE HOUR! Plus another 20 minutes, each day I wake up, to re-straighten the kinks that have formed over night. Its NOT practical! If I want to get good grades in school, if I want to stay in shape, I can't be spending that much time on my hair. So would you just leave me alone and let me have wavy frizzy hair without making me feel like...like...I don't know, a lion or something. Or a hick, jungle woman person.

Okay, I'm done. Maybe I'll go to Target to the African-American-hair-aisle. Their hair-products seem like they just might do the trick. Maybe.

3 comments:

Halifirien Pilgrim said...

AMEN.

Anonymous said...

hahaha oo love! all natural hair is the way to go! it's smthing that's supposed to be fun if you change it up...not something you have to do! I love your hair...no maatter what you do to it...or dnt do in this case ;) the only thing I can think of forth boy thing is that you may look older when you straighten your hAir? plus usually smthing different is usually noticed simply because its different not because they like it more or less. idk but I totally hear ya on being unique and different!! seriously you be the woman you want to be and have no fear of how people think of you or treat you...jst love being you! others who dnt are missing out for real!

del

mattea kiriel said...

Hannah: HAHAHAHAHA!!

Del: Aw, thanks :)

To you both: <3