Tuesday, January 11, 2011

All is (Not) Calm, All is Bright

Last night I tacked some scarves over my window, and they won't be coming off for a while because, after a year of waiting, the gas people have finally decided to drill! Which means those blaring white lights that I've mentioned in previous posts have been set up. Actually, there is only one as of last night, but it shined right through my window and directly into my eyes as I lay in bed. There were also red and orange machinery tail lights peppered over the field. So up went the scarves.

It is really exciting out there in the field on the pad. As of yesterday there was nothing there except two water storage towers and the containment area that served as our ice rink (which I am going to miss using). Then, starting 9 AM yesterday, they started hauling in a bunch of stuff: pipes, water towers, machinery, 6 trailers to serve was offices, and a portable power-plant (not that portable actually--they could barely get it up the road). And there are gas men everywhere, including on the lane because the pipeline (which will connect us to the Atlantic ocean) is being built too (great timing, because no pipeline=no way to transport the gas=no money for us). Another great thing is that, of our 8 planned wells, they are drilling 4 of them next week! That is unheard of since the gas company is spread so thin they've only been drilling 1 well before moving to the next site.

It has been nice having some good news the past two days. The weekend was no fun because 5 family members all came down (on various days) with this flu-like sickness. So instead of having friends over, and instead of going to church, and instead of finding weekend adventures, I stayed home and held Sanna's hand and kept a cool wash cloth on her forehead, and let her lay on top of me for hours at a time (if I didn't let her, she would cry). Which I didn't mind doing, it's just I kept thinking of what else I could be doing on one of my last weekends of break.

I'm pretty much ready for school to start though. I love learning new things (the whole problem with college is the tests that have to go along with those new things--blech!), so it will be nice to start loading my brain up again. It will be a lot different not working at physical therapy though--good different, hopefully. I couldn't even breathe last semester,  and was mega-stressed half the time. So, even though I'm taking more credits, this might end up being a more laid back semester. Might. I'm not counting on anything.

Andrew has gone back to Bryan, which means everyone is depressed now. Dad took him down because he still wasn't feeling too well, and was diagnosed with strep throat yesterday, so Dad volunteered to drive him.

Now it is snowing. 1-11-11 is a good day for snow (lets see how many time this year we get all 1s! Yeah, I know, don't tell me it won't happen again until November). We already have what should be 4 inches on the ground, but the wind blows it around so much you can't tell. Supposedly we are getting 6 inches in the next 48 hours.

And when I start talking about the weather, it means time to end the post.

P.S. We did our grand New Year family height measuring and...drum roll please...I didn't even grow a millimeter!!! This is so exciting! I finally stopped growing! It is about time! So at 5'9" I stay.

2 comments:

Delian said...

I'd say! 5'9'' is a great height! :)

and woot woot to drilling!! :P

also...I hear your suffering...of wanting to make the most of your weekends...I just give you props for being a saint about it...I just moped around the house :P
the moral of this story
Del and Mattea should see each other ;)

Halifirien Pilgrim said...

*Hallelujah Chorus* Hip hip, hooray!

"We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we will all hang separately" is my motto. :) I love borrowing things from Ben Franklin.

SKYPE ME!!! I can't see when you're online, so I'll just hang out with skype on until you show up. I'm stubborn. I will win.