Saturday, June 25, 2011

Beauty & Fright

I spent part of last night consoling my little cousin Miina, recently returned from Sarasota, that bears are nothing to be afraid of. The utter irony of our conversation became apparent this morning while I was on my run. I didn't actually see a bear, but the woods were so misty and dark that I was rather terrified that I would see one. Or rather, that one would see me before I saw it, and I would "get dead," as Miina jargon would bluntly describe it. Apparently, some childhood fears are never put to rest. This morning every lightening blacked stump was a bear, every creaking limb a coyote, and every pile of leaves a hornets nest (that fear is justifiable though, because I have run through a yellow jacket's nest out there before, with quite painful results). Actually, you could say all the fears are justifiable, because bears and coyotes have also ended up way too close to me for comfort. 

Even so, I wouldn't trade living in the woods with wild animals for anything. I'd much rather deal with them than a house on either side of me. Besides, it's really beautiful! Especially so this morning since I was kind of frightened. I think fright and beauty go really well together, because fright heightens your senses. You hear every sound, feel every rain drop and twig that snaps against your leg. You smell damp rocks and decaying leaves and moist firs. And you see everything rapidly and clearly--if not with a few misty hallucinations thrown in that just make the whole experience better. 

I also rescued the cutest little newt--actually he was big as far as newts go, but still adorable and orangy-red. Technically I was only rescuing him from myself, since he was on a path and not on the road with cars, but it should reinforce my standing with RESART anyhow (Red Eft Search And Rescue Team, formed by mom and Andrew many many years ago =).  

Yesterday afternoon we went to the Mansfield farmer's market that they have been having every Friday afternoon for a while now. I was quite impressed. There were probably 10 tents with lots of delicious stuff like spinach and garlic scapes and chocolate and raw milk and cinnamon rolls and Greek wraps that had a complicated name but were so good...and I bumped into Karina, which is always fun, and got to witness this Amish man mistake her for someone else and proceed to rub her head and carry on a conversation with her. She handled the whole situation very nicely. 

In other news, I am in mourning because our adorable Holly is on Ebay. She is already being bid on like crazy, and I hope the person who gets her will treat her nicely. She deserves it because she is the sweetest, most dependable car ever. 

3 comments:

Andrew said...

That is a very profound thought, about fear heightening beauty, that is. Makes me think of that poem by William Blake: "Tiger tiger burning bright, in the forests of the night, what immortal hand or eye, could frame they fearful symmetry"

ps. are there that many lightning-blackened stumps around there?

mattea kiriel said...

There are a few. Some of them might just be black from mold, but others definitely look like they were struck by lightening.

I love that poem!

Halifirien Pilgrim said...

piece of trivia: that poem was used in the movie A Little Princess. :) I started singing the song in my head when I read that.

Wow, Mattea, what an exciting run! I think it's funny when I console a child and then get scared of whatever it was. Weird, that is.