Sunday, June 19, 2011

Extroverted Week

It's been one of those weeks where nothing on your mental to-do list (like "4. update blog") gets done because so much else happens. But I'm okay with that, because it's the stuff that is not on your to-do list that makes life worth living.

For as much as last week was a social failure (a canceled trip to Virgina, being deep in the woods not to be found when the Slacks came to hang out for an afternoon), this week was a social success. Which means last week the to-do list got done, and this week it didn't. Hm...guess which week I liked better? It started Monday with Maryah's piano recital, which also meant seeing a bunch of peeps. For the rest of Monday and part of Tuesday we had Brooke at our house, then swapped for Mariah, and had her through Wednesday. I also cleaned/landscaped for Papa T, which wasn't exactly fun, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. Thursday we went over to our neighbors, the James, for supper. And Friday afternoon Neeks came over to spend the weekend. Friday evening was Ben's graduation party. Saturday was Changed Lives at the public library, and I headed to Jenn's afterward to spend the night and have some quality crazy-laughing time where we were bound to do something ridiculous.

Basically, the weekend rocked. Particularly Friday evening. Our neighbors, the Markell's, throw the best parties in the world. There are tons of people--all of whom are the kind of people you are instant friends with because they have no stereotypes (may have something to do with the fact that they are all either 1. Christians 2. ex-hippies or 3. both).  There is also tons of food, and several kegs of birch beer. There are also people playing random musical instruments, which is great. And there are random games that you didn't think you were part of but actually are. For instance, I was sitting in one circle talking, and the next-door circle was playing duck duck goose. The "it" person must have gotten tired of the people in the circle who were playing though because all of a sudden he runs over and gooses me. Random, but I get up and chase him anyway. And yes, I caught him before he sat down muahaha.

But the best part is the not-so-random barn dance. That started about 8:30, and we danced until 11:30, which is when the kids wanted to go home. I felt like saying, well, walk the 5 miles, but I was in a good mood so we went home. Even though it meant missing the last few dances. I did get to dance with the illustrious Pat Kane himself though, which was pretty cool because he is so good at it. It was also a simply beautiful evening that brought back a bunch of memories of playing there as a little kid, catching fireflies before Ben or I even started school. There were seriously thousands of fireflies hovering in the fields and above the pond and in the woods. You couldn't tell where the fireflies stopped and the stars began. To which Jesse replied, it doesn't matter, because they are both beautiful. Touché.

Saturday I got up very early considering not going to sleep until Saturday early morning. After the meeting, Jenn and I kidnapped the Slack girls and we went to her house to get lunch. The we went to Peaches and Cream with poor Jared, who had to put up with all us girls. I think he enjoyed his ice cream though. Haha. After that we dropped Mariah and Brooke back at their house, and Jenn and I went to Market St. We walked up and down a few times, shopping and trying on ball gowns and talking talking talking. I don't think we even had time to breathe haha. Then we went back to her house, and when we told Mrs. Snapp about our dress hunting, it made her want to drag out a box of dresses she hadn't gone through since they moved. In it was her wedding dress, so we all three tried it on. It definitely fit Jenn best.

Sunday was another early sunny morning since Jenn needed to get to church early for worship practice. After church, my family took dad out for pizza on Market St. Actually, he took us out, but it's Father's Day, so it sounds better to say we took him out. We hung out in Centerway for a while before coming home, where I made a bee-line for the hammock. I lay there for an hour, not sleeping, but not awake either. Just hanging in that in between place where your mind hovers slowly from one thought to the next, semi-subconsciously, so half your thoughts are real and the other half morph into sort-of-dreams. But it is very relaxing. Then I went for a walk and came home and had the pinkest, yummiest raspberry greek yogurt smoothie. And a slice of Maryah's cheesecake.

Yep. Perfect weekend. =)

No comments: