...Of thoughts, that is. I was going through a notebook from senior year, and found a page I had written quotes on from the book I was reading at the time, "Cry, the Beloved Country" (by Alan Paton). It definitely makes it on the list of my top 10 favorite books. The writing style is terrific, and it has a powerful message for being fiction. So here are just a few of the quotes that I thought were particularly good...
"The tragedy is not that things are broken. The tragedy is that they are not mended again."
"Some people do not like [the mist], and find it cold and gloomy. But others like it, and find in it mystery and fascination, and prelude to adventure, and an intimation of the unknown."
"But there is only one thing that has power completely, and that is love. Because when a man loves, he seeks no power, and therefore he has power."
"It is not likely the train will leave you, for there are few people here, and everyone will know who you are. And even if it did leave you, it would not much matter; for unless you are cripple, or very old, you could run after it and catch it for yourself."
"While there is life, there is hope for amendment of life."
"But sorrow is better than fear. For fear impoverishes always, while sorrow may enrich."
"And money is not something to go mad about, and throw your hat into the air for. Money is for food and clothes, and a visit to the pictures. Money is to make happy the lives of children. Money is for security, and for dreams, and for hopes, and for purposes. Money is for buying the fruits of the earth, of the land where you where born."
"The truth is that our civilization is not Christian; it is a tragic compound of great ideal and fearful practice, of high assurance and desperate anxiety, of loving charity and fearful clutching of possessions."
So there you have it. I'll leave you with a thought of my very own, though (unfortunately it's not profound haha):
"Shoes are wonderfully fun to shop for, and terrifically fun to own, but actually wearing them is optional."
(In the summertime, anyhow :)
4 comments:
Sounds like a very good book. What time period is it supposed take place in?
Well shoes will be optional at the dance mwahahahaha!!!!!!
@Andrew, it takes place in 1946 in South Africa.
@Isaac, sure. But your picture is too creepy for my blog.
I like your smatterings. I read that book, but I must not have been reading carefully. Time for a reread!
Post a Comment