Hope.
That is the word of the week. Partly because of all the rain, I suppose. When it's rainy it makes me hopeful because, when it is already raining, it can't start raining. The only thing that can "start" is the sun; or even snow, and both are welcome alternatives. Both give me a nice feeling of hopefulness in my chest, and help to chase away the lonely, melancholy mist that has taken up residence there.
So I've spent a bit of time this week staring at my yellow sunburst cactus on my desk, because it is so hopeful itself. When I wake up in the morning, and my bedroom window is all fogged up with condensation, I go trace motivational words on it. In the middle of the afternoon, I'll lay on my bed and daydream of island hopping on Saranac Lake under a blue sky. Right now I'm wearing neon socks and my new tennis ball green sweatshirt from Grandma and Grandpa. When life isn't hopeful, exude hopefulness right? Surround yourself with it.
Besides, being hopeful is so much more fun than being depressed. Even when you spent the afternoon keeping a cool hand on your sister's feverish forehead, even when the gas check is delayed until February thanks to legal issues, even when you doubt, be hopeful. Be happy.
Am I talking to myself? Yes. Though it reminds me of Sanna talking to me...when she was no more than 3 or 4, if she saw me crying or moping around she'd say, "Don't be sad, Ttea, be happy!" It was sort of her motto: "You haf [have] ha [to] be happy!"
However, it's easier to be hopeful when your hope is set in the correct object, thing, or person...or, Being. That's the right word. A few months back I was wondering why my hopes were "being put to shame," when it says right in the Bible that hope doesn't put us to shame. What I hadn't figured out is that the hope it is talking about there is Christ. If we make Christ our hope, our hope really will not be put to shame. Earthly hopes, on the other hand, will let us down. Yet, even then it doesn't have to be as high or fast of a fall if we have our ultimate hope set in Jesus.
Hope. Go ahead and say it aloud. Pop the "p" at the end. It's a good word.
No comments:
Post a Comment