Sunday, January 01, 2012

Dance a Chimichanga

Ushering in 2012 was a lot better than ushering in 2011. First, because I was with friends. Second, because we weren't watching Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation (worst Jimmy Stewart movie ever). Third, because I was with friends. We actually hadn't made any New Years plans, and then sometime Saturday afternoon, after a bit of classic Wilber confusion, we got a couple Snapps and a Slack down to our place. I think everyone kept waiting for everyone else to invite them to do something, but what with unexpected guests and sickness most everyone ended up staying home. Except for Jenn and Jordan, that is. When they pulled in the driveway, those happy round headlights shining, I got pretty excited (about Jenn's new yellow Bug, that is; though it was great to see Jenn too haha jk).

Thus commenced an evening that was filled with lots of stuff. I never realized how much stuff it is possible to do with people when you have to keep yourself awake and entertained until past midnight. This is what we did:

--watched old videos that Jordan and Andrew had made as youngish teenagers.
--listened to old Key of H recordings. Jenn and I laughed. Andrew and Jordan grimaced. Personally, I still think they are awesome.
--played "Lost Mountain of God." Jordan wanted to, so we obliged him. He may now wish we hadn't.
--ate cookies
--played Taboo (girls vs. boys...we creamed them)
--Jenn vs. Mattea spit, since it is tradition (Jenn won, but not without a fight)
--got serenaded by Jordan
--played/sung old SGM worship music...it's fun to see how your brain stores melodies, and brings them back to the surface after years.
--wrote a song. I guess we never put it to music, but the words are as follows:
Verse 1
She sat on a painted piano
Behind a veil of sheer joy,
"Am I pride or am I prejudice?
Forget and call me coy."

Chorus
"Just dance a chimichanga
Aerodynamically,
Wave your mosquito netting,
Fall, fall for me."

Verse 2
There's a star on the western wall,
She sees it from the piano,
"Descartes got it wrong,
I see therefore I know." 

[Not bad for 10:30 at night, right? Yeah yeah, go ahead and groan.]
--watched the ball drop (I still have a grudge against it from when I was Sanna's age)
--Dance partay!

The dancing lasted about 20 minutes, and then we all ended up on the living room floor, talking about who knows what until 1 AM when Jenn said they should probably go. I turned off the lights, and got ready for bed. For future reference: keep the lights on until you are actually in bed. I came down from my room, and walked across the hallway with the intention of going to the bathroom. Well, turns out the door was closed and I slammed into it really loudly, instead of walking through thin, dark air like I thought I was doing. Isaac, on the other side says, "Uhhh, just a minute?" (Usually I knock very quietly). And then I hear Maryah from her room start convulsing in giggles ("Mattea, did you just run into the bathroom door?").

Determined to be responsible, since we had church the next morning, I set my cell alarm for 6 so I could claim the shower before anyone else, watch the sunrise in peace and quiet before anyone else got up, get around leisurely, etc. Well, evidently my alarm didn't go off, or I slept right through it, because one minute it is a little after 1 AM and I'm falling asleep, and the next I hear people rushing around downstairs and it is 8:15. Talk about instant adrenaline rush--we're leaving in half an hour! Needless to say, I didn't get my shower. But actually I was rather glad for the extra couple hours of sleep, and crazy hair was worth it.

When we got home from church, I went for a long walk to begin the mental "pack up" of 2011. It will probably take the rest of the week to finish packing, tie the bow, and place it on its shelf, but it is started. I guess mostly it's just reflecting...giving it all to God...being okay--and not just okay, but thankful--for every single thing that happened this year, including the hard stuff. Also figuring out how I've changed over the year. How God has conquered more of my flesh and pride. Perhaps I should be looking forward, toward this coming year; but I feel like what happened in 2011 is going to greatly impact what happens this year, academically, personally, relationally, spiritually. So I want to make sure I know what happened during 2011, and be prepared. Which reminds me, my new motto is "Semper Preparedair" ("Always prepared." And yes, "preparedair" is not the Latin word for "prepared." It's not a word at all. But it rhymes. So there.)

Happy New Year, blog readers! =)

2 comments:

Laine said...

You running into the bathroom door about as funny as beeping Jordan at each card during Taboo as he constantly said the wrong words, about as funny as Andrew and Jordan doing The Creep (of which J was completely oblivious to) about as funny as Jordan falling off of the piano bench and about as funny as Jordan doing that crazy dance move during Dynamite (you know that one I mean). In short-you running into the bathroom door was about as funny as Jordan. And being pretty much drunk in adrenaline didn't help my "convulsion of giggles" when you did run into the bathroom door. Definitely the best New Years yet.

mattea kiriel said...

And you know how I've always aspired to be as funny as Jordan. Guess I can cross that one off my New Years resolution list!


=P