Tuesday I did something I have never done before: I did school outside in the middle of winter. I grabbed a lawn chair, set it in the sunny part of the driveway, tossed the unnecessary sweatshirt back into the house and settled in with my geography textbook (shout out to Andrew for introducing me to the hip-hop artist Jovanotti. He was used in an analogy on my geography test and because I knew he was from Italy I got it right). The downside is I did not get a tan while studying (any redness was windburn), but the upside is I was outside in pleasant weather doing school on January 31! It does not get much better than that (actually, it does, but we'll keep our sights set low and be content).
However, I really do think I have Seasonal Affective Disorder. That's what my biology teacher said it was, anyway, and explained it has something to do with not enough sunlight being absorbed through my pupils to stimulate melatonin production. The result is tiredness and mild depression; the "winter blues." So, what with the milder weather we've been having, you'd think I wouldn't have it so bad this year. But I do. Thus, in what spare time I have, I've been concocting escape plans. None of which I will actually carry through, seeing as they are entirely unrealistic, but it's fun to think about anyway. Imagining being in a canoe in the middle of a lake under a hot blue sky singing at the top of my lungs and then capsizing because I start dancing is almost as good as having it happen for real. Almost.
It's not like there's no light at the end of the tunnel, of course. Though I think that is my problem. The light is so intense and lovely I can't wait to burst through to the other side and be in it full-force. It's a place where I have my AA degree, it's warm, and the gas check has come. So now is a good time to practice patience, wot? And enjoy all the little things, like Isaac's warm chocolate chip cookies, Sanna's laughter and chickadees at the bird feeder. Also the fact that my poem I submitted a couple weeks ago to Manhattan Declaration is in the top three for the haiku genre! (If you haven't "liked" it yet, please do so! http://www.manhattandeclaration.org/poem.aspx?id=222) If it actually wins I shall have a good laugh, because when I got the email about the contest, I had about a 2 minute break to write it. But even as I scribbled it down, Chris was in the back of my mind, and it is definitely dedicated to him.
Other good things: First, Valentine's Day is coming up, which means our annual watching of the A&E Pride and Prejudice will be taking place soon! (Shout out to Lydia S. who started us on that tradition many many years ago). Second, not that it will really do any good since Romney has everyone starstruck, but Herman Cain endorsed Newt Gingrich just like I asked him to! Third, hey look! It's Friday! Hello weekend! :)
3 comments:
Jovanotti in a geography test?! Amazing.
Isaac's chocolate chip cookies, having a degree, and the gas check all sound wonderful.
Your poem was great! And thanks for what you said at Chris' memorial service by the way. Even if you didn't know I was watching, I really appreciate it. Maybe even more because.
I love this post! hahaha.
And I'm so glad you wrote about what causes SAD! I always wondered...but I think I have it too...and when it's sunnier AND warmer out I am INCREDIBLY happier...it's ridiculous.
Please send the poem to me.... I went to the site and I could not find it! Did the competition end?
<3 you. I hope that P&P is as amazing as it always is <3 and even more so! I love you muchly! Tell everyone I said hi with lots of hugs and loves.
~Delian
@Andrew: Yes, he was on my test. The question was "MC Solaar is to France as Jovanotti is to ____." I said Italy, of course :P.
And yeah I didn't know you were watching, but your welcome. :)
@Del: I can't wait to watch P&P!!! And I emailed you ;)
Post a Comment