Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Raw Sugar

Several phrases, or movie quotes rather, have been running through my head the past couple days. They include the following:

"Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something." (Wesley)
"Why so serious?" (the Joker)
"I know life stinks, but we still have to make the yard look good." (Ramona and Beezus' Mom)
"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." (Mary P.)

Are those quotes reflective of my life right now? Draw your own conclusions. They may or may not be related. Though, yesterday as I was whistling "Just a Spoonful of Sugar" (see, I'm whistling. Psychologically, that means I'm okay) I discovered two things: 1) I can't find my spoonful of sugar that will help the medicine go down. 2) I know both parts--the melody and harmonyishthing--that the little robins whistle. I attempted to whistle them both at the same time, but it didn't work. Kinda like the time I tried to play a duet with myself on the piano.

Two people really are better than one.

Speaking of people, the other day I saw a picture of Bertrand Russell in my math book. I am quite disappointed now. I had pictured him as this pudgy but solid grandfatherly type who, though certainly intellectual, had sparky eyes that were equal parts argumentative and laughing. He was exactly the opposite of what I imagined, for the picture showed him as willowy and slightly predatory. Very wrinkled. He actually looks like how I'd envisioned Meg's principal, Mr. Jenkins, from A Wrinkle in Time. But I'm probably just equating the book's title and shape-shifting crows with a wrinkled, bird-like man, so pay no mind. (And why, do you ask, am I obsessed with what Bertrand looks like? Well, really it's silly because I know practically nothing about the man. But last year I did find one of his ideas/quotes particularly funny [warning: at the time my brain was experiencing a humor-deficit, so the slightest something could make me laugh] and I made it my school motto).

Honestly, there is really nothing else to write about, even though it has been a while since my last post. What does come to mind I can already see will turn into a massive stream of self-pity, so for your sake we won't take any of those trails. The brightest part of any day actually takes place at night when we go for walks through the woods in the cold starryness. We saw a shooting star a couple evenings ago, and it was the most striking one I've seen in years, possibly since the meteor shower when I was about 10. But there I go again, escaping down memory lane. I need to stay in the present, which is forming what will hopefully be a better future.

So I'm off to find some sugar. Even if it is raw, a bit unrefined, I'm sure it's here.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Umm, if you need some sugar you know where to find me-I'll give you some! More than you should have to handle too, I'm sure. :)

Halifirien Pilgrim said...

You aren't going to tell us your school motto?!!!

I love those quotes. :)

mattea kiriel said...

Haha, the motto is "thoughts are being thunk" :)