Two full days spent in the cold house that is my home are enough to make me more grateful than usual for my jobs. However, to turn the gratefulness back on it's head, I'm also thankful for the unexpected time off. When Hurricane Sandy first blew through, and shortened my day at the museum, while canceling nannying entirely for the week, I was chagrined. Every dollar counts in the game of saving up for Saints Bible Institute, and losing any pay does not make me happy. Plus, when Cindy warily sent me home early on Monday, it was before the roads had had a chance to get bad which meant no driving adventures or dealing with bum traffic lights; something I'd honestly been looking forward to. (If my parents are reading this, at this point they just decided they really like Cindy.)
However, the time off has been very useful because there was a lot of stuff I had to get done here at the house; stuff that I had kept putting off due to lack of time or motivation. So, I now have a clean room, letters written, books finished, new books begun, and a vitamin regime figured out that will hopefully cleanse me of this cold. Since I've been home, it's given Mom time to notice that I'm still sniffly and whatnot after 2 months. I'm blaming it on the babysitting. Those kids are sick every time I see them, and I think I catch whatever they have every single time―resisting kissing them is just impossible. Needless to say, I would like to get better because I can't spend much time in the cold with lungs constantly full of junk.
However, the time off has been very useful because there was a lot of stuff I had to get done here at the house; stuff that I had kept putting off due to lack of time or motivation. So, I now have a clean room, letters written, books finished, new books begun, and a vitamin regime figured out that will hopefully cleanse me of this cold. Since I've been home, it's given Mom time to notice that I'm still sniffly and whatnot after 2 months. I'm blaming it on the babysitting. Those kids are sick every time I see them, and I think I catch whatever they have every single time―resisting kissing them is just impossible. Needless to say, I would like to get better because I can't spend much time in the cold with lungs constantly full of junk.
The outside world is the highlight of my world, as is usual I suppose. A couple weeks ago Andrew had some people over for a bonfire which was quite nice; particularly the shooting stars. A week or two later on Sunday, I woke up to my alarm at 3:30AM to join Andrew and Joe St. out in the field to catch the peak of the Orionids meteor shower. It clouded completely over by 4:15, and by 4:30 I was back in bed to fitfully sleep another couple hours before church, but it was worth it.
I am perhaps dangerously, and definitely hypocritically, infatuated with the stars. Dangerous, because I think I idolize them somewhat and thinking of the stars melting and all falling out of the sky, and of there being no need of stars in heaven because of the true Light himself, makes me sad. I am a hypocrite because for as much as I love the stars I really know very little about them, don't have the Google Sky Map app installed on my iPhone, can't find more than 3 or 4 constellations, and tell people I would die living in town where you go weeks at a time without catching glimpses of them...when I already do that here; albeit not for lack of ability, but for laziness or a strong desire not to be out in the cold.
In the realm of being social, last Sunday the Slacks came over. That always gives me this warm, fuzzy feeling, because somehow, time has made them the best kind of friends: old friends. We played Settlers of Catan, which made me miss Jordan, but Andrew still won and Christian still didn't play. Like tradition. Brooke brought out my inner 13 year old (only lasted about 15 minutes but boy was it fun) and we laughed uncontrollably over nothing. Also tradition. They stayed late, which means I ended up sleeping instead of showering and felt incredibly American when the tour of beautiful French exchange students came through the museum, but I'm okay with that now.
Grandma started up soup night again about a month ago, so there's that to go to every Monday evening, and hang out with cousins and aunts and uncles and everything. But honestly, I'm there for the food. Which is why Grandma has soup night because she knows without the common denominator of food none of us will ever speak with each other. Ha ha. I'm sure there's some Christian virtue I need to start exercising in that avenue of life, but for now I'll just smile and wave. And eat. Oh yes.
Tonight there's a couple Halloween parties I've been invited too but I'm playing the holy card and saying I refuse to celebrate something so pagan. Okay, actually, I'm just being lame. They're all in Corning, and little would tempt me to spend the whole evening up there, get home late, and then turn around and go back early in the morning for work. Plus, I can't breathe right and all I really want to do is curl up in a blanket and sleep better than I have the past two nights.
No comments:
Post a Comment