Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Secret Life

That I am going to Italy has not only become a fact, it feels like a fact. After submitting my application to SBI a few months ago and getting accepted, I quickly settled into the routine of work. Granted, some mornings the hope of Italy is the only thing that pulled me out of bed - but it was just that: a hope. It didn't actually feel real, and I was not guaranteed it ever would be real, at least this semester.

However, God has provided (He always does, yet I am always surprised). And I am going to Italy. Thanks to generous grandparents, extra days at the Rockwell, re-increased babysitting, and my parents, all systems are now go. 

Admittedly, some of those systems are choking out fumes and lagging behind...but I know they'll get going eventually. 

I also know that Italy will probably become "less real" again within the next couple of weeks as things get busy with family&friends for the holidays and I "lose myself" in various jobs. For now, though, there's too much paperwork and financial planning/juggling to not have Italy on my mind. 

Like today. After I finished babysitting for the day at noon, I drove home, ate lunch, and then collapsed on the hardwood floor and took a nap. Not because there was any deficit of couches or beds: it's just that's where the biggest, warmest sunshine puddle was. 

An hour later I drove to Mansfield to pay a visit to the notary. I'd never gotten anything notarized before, but I knew where it was from dropping mom off to do home school stuff for the state. It was quite easy, and I now cannot hold SBI accountable if the place gets bombed and I die. However, the travel insurance I'm looking into gives me $100,000 in emergency evac. coverage, so I figure I could get a helicopter ride out before that happened, assuming I was given warning of the impending air strikes. Yeah. (Yes, I am one of those people who lays in bed at night and thinks about what they would grab if the house was on fire.)

After that I scooted over the bridge to our rental property and parked there so I could go on a run. Apparently, mi Madre has signed our whole family up for the Turkey Trot a week from today. I am not obligated to run, but the whole family is doing it so I would feel like a massive loser if I didn't. 

Thus, seeing as I haven't run in 3 months (I've been sick, remember. As of Tuesday I'm starting in on cold #4), I figured I should get out just once beforehand 'cause this girl has run 5ks cold turkey before, and it's not fun. Not that running 3 miles earlier today is going to enhance my performance at all come next Thursday (I'm not running again between now and then), but it did give me the confidence that I won't faint and morbidly embarrass myself in front of 5,000 people. Or maybe it's 1,500. Can't remember, but it's a big race (population wise), all things considered. 

Despite the pain, and despite the nausea (lesson learned: never plot a course that takes one down Main St. The smell of food, usually so wonderful, just made me killer queasy), it was rather nice. When I could keep out from under the shadow of buildings, even the nippy weather wasn't so bad. 

My last stop before heading home was Sheetz to fill up the car. It's quite tempting (and possibly lucrative; I'd have to do the math) to drive to Mansfield just to get gas because it's so much cheaper than the places I usually go, since I work in NY (I have so many grudges against that state. If it weren't for people I love, I'd never go there). As it is, whenever I'm in Mansfield, I'm sure to top of the tank :P. 

Then I drove home and decided to wash the car. It kind of turned into "if you give a mouse a cookie," though, because before I knew it I'd given Harry a detail cleaning instead of just a wash. 

Appendages thoroughly numb, I went inside and ate cheeseburgers. Yum. Around the dinner table, I told the family what I'd done today since they'd been gone and didn't know what I'd been up to this afternoon. 

Mom, evidently, was rather surprised and said, "wow Mattea. You had a secret life this afternoon. I had no idea."

It's so lame when your secret life consists of going to the notary and jogging around a little town whose main attraction used to be WalMart but is now Sheetz. 

Even so, I still think it was a good day.

1 comment:

Laine said...

Hahaha, I think we'll all be running this race cold turkey...but I suppose it's festive. Anywho, I liked that saying--maybe it's just cause I'm a little out of it, if you know what I mean. But really, I find it quite silly.

Cold turkey on thanksgiving. Ha!