Monday, May 13, 2013

Closer to Home

I ran away from home this morning to escape the yearly visit from the home school evaluator. Even though I’ve been out of high school for three years, every year she comes she still evaluates me. Since I didn’t feel like explaining how my academic year went, and what my future plans are, I skipped town and headed to Corning. Eventually I ended up taking shelter from the snow (?!) here at Walker, with a skim latte and chocolate biscotti. Passion Pit is on the radio. Right now I’m pretending the snow is flower blossoms.

I want to play pretend for this entire post, and write about some European adventure that I had over the weekend, but those days are over for now. Anything I could write about seems a little dull. The fact of the matter is, though, if I want to have more adventures to write about, I have to have money to pay for the adventures. So I was a little happy when the HR from Lowes called me and scheduled an interview. That took place on Friday afternoon.

I was more than a little nervous about that interview. I came downstairs a few minutes before I had to leave and collapsed on the sofa dramatically yelling, “I just really don’t want to do this!” But Maryah talked me through it some, and then we did the superman pose for a few minutes, followed by a rendition of L-O-W-E-S that went a little like the YMCA. The “S” got a little crazy.

I got stuck behind a dump truck on the way there and was almost late. I had to listen to Corinne Bailey Rae to chill out. But it didn’t matter because the HR was still with another interviewee when I got there. I was a little surprised when Ben came out of the office with her. Small town problems. But nice to see a familiar face...

The two interviews went pretty well, except I felt a little out of place in my skinny jeans, cardi, and scarf with all the Levi’s and t-shirts. I never dress appropriately for interviews. All well. In answer to their questions, it was fun to realize all the stories I had between the Rockwell and PT. I got the guy to chuckle a few times and had him on the edge of his seat other times. Museums aren't so terribly boring from behind the scenes.

What is intimidating is that they had done eight interviews before mine, and had a lot scheduled for the next day, too. If I actually get a job it’ll be a little miracle. I really hope I do, though, because it's slightly closer to home than Corning, where there are a couple jobs I know of that are available.

For now, the family I nannied for before going to Italy called this morning and rehired me, so at least I have that to fill up my gas tank and buy coffee until I find something more permanent, with more hours.

Other than that, my life as an American goes on. I still spend a lot of time looking at pretty views.


And hey. I just checked my voicemail.

Lowes hired me.

2 comments:

Jonathan Hinterberger said...

Love this! :)

Laine said...

Ahhh!! You got the job!!!!

Hehee, it has to be all that muscle flexing--er, wiggling...whatever. X)