Thursday, June 26, 2008

Peek At Nigeria

Today we went to a church near here to hear a Nigerian Pastor tell us a little about his country. His name is Rev. Rukara and he is doing this intern thing with this church. (The American pastor went over there and he came here). This is what I learned: (not that you necessarily want to know--its more just so I'll retain the information by writing it down lol...no, I think you will find it rather interesting=o)
  1. the colors of the flag are green and white. Green because of the original Greek culture and white for peace.
  2. population: 144,000,000 (largest population in all of Africa)
  3. staple foods: yam, rice, beans, meat
  4. persecution level: government is fine with Christianity (the vice president is a christian fyi). However in 2001, I believe, many churches were burned, including his church and home. 
  5. in schools Christianity is taught. Unless you go to a Muslim school....obviously......mostly men only go to the Muslim schools, women only till about 4th grade. Because by the time Muslim girls are in 4th grade they are deemed fit to marry and therefore aren't allowed in school anymore. Interestingly enough Christian women will not marry until about 28. Men 30. 
  6. There are no home schoolers. Until coming to America Mr. Rukara had never heard of home schooling. 
  7. 400 languages are spoken in Nigeria. Anyone who goes to school learns English though--in fact you can't get into college unless you speak it. 
  8. You are lucky if the electric power stays on for more than 6 hours at a time--it just blinks on and off. (ugh)
  9. There is no well fare type system--you have to fend for yourself really. 
  10. Nigeria's winter type season has a low of 80 degrees. Hahaha.....I wouldn't want to be there during the dry/summer season. (They have 3 season: the rainy season, and then two others that had weird names which would technically be winter and summer) 
And that about sums up most of it....I'm sure I'm forgetting some of it but....:) Altogether it was a very great 1 hour.

Under and In,
mattea

haha, get that instead of over and out "under and in" hehehe......I crack myself up

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, that's really interesting, and scary.....if my little sister was muslim she would be married.

mattea kiriel said...

yes it is scary. Basically as soon as one is developed "off you go"....my cousin and I were talking about that afterwards....and freakin out. Haha

-Phyllis+ said...

haha, then I probably would have been safe til 15.