Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Just Fax It

My Dad was talking about the whole "Facebook craze" and saying how, really, its all dejavo for him. People have been acting weird and getting all addicted and excited about different technological things for 20 years. In fact, he said, when the fax machine was invented, people went bongos. They thought it was so darn cool that they would fax each other like crazy. All the time. You could even get yourself a bumper sticker for your car that said "just fax it". What is interesting is that the fax machine was (is) just a vamped up version of the telegraph (and really a step down--technologically--from the telephone). And yet whenever possible people would fax each other rather than call. Simply because it was "the thing to do". That is primarily the reason I don't like Facebook. Because it is simply "the thing to do". Don't get me wrong, I think its a great way for people who live far away from each other to use to stay in touch but other than that it is rather....seemingly pointless. I have to admit it looks fun (and it must be seeing as facebook is a major topic among my friends and they all get on to their facebooks when at each others houses....which is rather impolite if you ask me....). But just because something is fun doesn't make it un-pointless. (gambling is fun....and altogether pointless is it not?? Not that I'm at all comparing gambling w/ facebook.....though both do have that certain addicting quality....) 

And I really didn't mean for this post to be a rant against facebook. But hey, its fun to rant, albeit pointless. And I guess that is what facebookers would say: Facebook is just fun--who cares if its pointless?? And WOW!!! I just used the word "albeit". That is the first time I have ever used that word and I have always wanted to ever since I learned it several years ago. Wow. Cool. Albeit albeit albeit. Awesome. 

And you know what is gross? The white keys on this keyboard have this  certain yellowish hue about them. My cousin once told me that at an overnight videogame party, by the morning all the black controllers had been tinted green from sweat. Yuck. 

Today I finished Uncle Tom's Cabin. It was actually rather good. I wish people would still write like that today. This week starts our 5 week study of the civil war. Which is the saddest section of the whole four-year --from creation of the world to present time-- curriculum. It makes me mad because we are supposedly "the land of the free" and altogether about "liberty and justice for all." So if it took 150 years for us to realize that slavery was bad, and 250 for us to realize that blacks are just as equal as whites, how long will it take for us to realize that unborn babies are just as much as equal, and have just as many rights as we do? And if we get so mad at "the north" for putting up with slavery for as long as they did, should we not be mad at ourselves for putting up with abortion? How can we stand idle when we know that dozens of American citizens are being murdered each day? How can we stop it? That last question is one that I ask myself a lot, and I know you do to because of previous discussions.... perhaps if we keep asking it, we will find the answer.

And that turned into another rant. Whoops. :o) 

I'm tired. Good night =D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"un-pointless" mattea? Is that even a word? How about "Pointed" or "has a point" or "purpousfull" (okay so I can't spell that last one)

Albeit is an awesome word.

My friends were the same way. They have settled down. They still joke about something that might have happened on "FB" but at least they never use it around me. . .
I think it's a fad that will settle down but still be used by lots of people.

Also, the controller thing was a little much. Ew.

Anonymous said...

I guess its not a word. *goes and hides in a corner*

sherlock said...

ha ha