Monday, February 09, 2009

Sledding One Day, "Gardening" the Next

It is officially 40 degrees out today so Misha and I went outside (with NO coats on!!) and cleaned up my garden. I know it is rather pointless because it will be sure to snow again within the next week or two, but it was very fun. The sun was so warm on my back and the birds were singing...so when I came inside I drew a little map of my garden and then went and consulted Isaac's big, huge book of "Country Wisdom and Know-How" and decided I'm going to plant some more day lilies this spring, and add an orange begonia. And as usual I'll have a little plot of sunflowers somewhere, (the location changes every year) as they are my favorite flower. So Hannah, you needn't be jealous any longer because most of the snow is gone, except for piles of icy/slushy stuff in the shady parts of the yard, and along the side of the road. 

Back when there WAS snow on the ground (as in last thursday) we went sledding again with some neighbors. It was brutal. The snow was icy and you jounced so much that when you reached the bottom of the hill you wondered if your stomach was still in your abdomen. Our friends Bridged and her little sister Hannah were going down on their flyer, stacked one on top of the other, and they hit a bump near the bottom of the hill, and flew off the sled! Hannah ground to a halt on her face, but Bridged flipped 3 times in the air before coming down hard. I ran over and was much alarmed because Hannah's face was covered in blood. But she wasn't crying which was something. Bridged was laying face down in the snow, saying she was numbing her lip which she had bitten. When she got up the snow was red, and she had the makings of a black eye. We got them cleaned up and they were okay :). That happened when we first arrived, but we decided to stick it out and make the trip over worth-while. It was fun though.

Saturday Anna and I went out to Olive Garden and to see a movie as that was her Christmas present to me. We had a nice time. I felt very adventurous because that is the first time I have eaten out without an adult, so we had some trouble with the receipt...but other than that it went smoothly. We saw New In Town. I had VERY much wanted to see Bride Wars but it left the theater on Friday! Bummer. I don't know what they were thinking. New In Town was pretty good. I wish it could have been funnier though. One of those movies that if you've seen if once, you've seen it twice. It was nice to hang out with Anna though....it had been ages since I'd seen her last.

And I'm thinking about changing my blog title.....but I've not decided yet.

~mattea
P.S. This made me laugh...

How to install a wireless security system: 

Go to a second-hand store, buy a pair of men's used work boots ... a really big pair. Put them outside your front door on top of a copy of Guns and Ammo magazine. Put a dog dish beside it ... a really big dish. Leave a note on your front door that says something like this:

"Bubba, Big Mike and I have gone to get more ammunition - back in 30 minutes. Don't disturb the pit bulls, they've just been wormed."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's almost 70 down here. shorts. t-shirt. melts the ski resort. : ( : ) I'm not sure whether I'm happy about this or not.

Right now I'm looking at a bunch of birds sitting in a tree, looking off in various directions. For some reason that strikes me as funny. They look like sentinels.

I'm praying for you.

~Han

mattea kiriel said...

Whoa!! That is really warm!

Anonymous said...

ROFL...I just read the thing at the bottom. : D

~H

Anonymous said...

and yeah, I see the secret tulip picture. You only get to it if you click on "Back to original post" at the top of the comment page, so I guess people don't see it very often.

They're so pretty!

~H

mattea kiriel said...

I know, when Mom read that joke to me I knew I had to add it :)

oh good, you saw the picture!!