Friday, January 29, 2010

The Morning It Got Light Too Early

I finally have something to post about. And I can't believe that I do (I do believe that I have something to post, but I don't believe the "something"...its still sinking in).

This morning at 5:24 AM I was in the grocery store, picking out a birthday present for one of my friends. Actually THAT was just a dream, but it seems like something much more realistic than what happened next, in this real world.

As I said, i was in the middle of a dream one moment, and then the next I was awakened by the sound of my dad's shoed feet clomping quickly up the stairs from the basement, to the first floor. I glanced at the clock and then lay there in a state of mixed fogginess and then total understanding; something bad had just happened--Dad would never make that much noise unless..... IT had happened. My hazy suspicions were confirmed when I heard the beeps of a phone being dialed....too few beeps to be calling anything but 911. I suddenly flew out of bed and to my one loft window, craning to see around the corner of the house. And there it was, just like I somehow knew it would be. Bright orange and red flames engulfing the Inn...turning the black sky light. I spun on my heel, dashed out my room and down the first flight of stairs so I was in the little girls' room and then I just stood there, gazing out their large windows. It was sooo surreal. My movements had awakened them, and soon, after various exclamations of wonderment and scared-ness, EVERYONE was awake.

We couldn't believe what was happening! But within 10 minutes a firetruck came up the road. That was the first of about 10 trucks that arrived within an hour, plus all the cars and pick-ups of the volunteers that arrived (there were about 30 fire men all together). Isaac and I threw on some coats and hats, and ran up to the field to sit on a pile of hay bales that offered a good view of everything happening. We were only out there for about 10 minutes, and then we started to freeze. It was only 7 degrees out!

Once it started to get light, we all went up there. It was rather shocking. They were still trying to put out the fire and there were hoses and tanker trucks everywhere. Our friend was one the head fire guys and said the fire started because of either the woodstove, or the electric wiring. Parts of the house are 130 years old, so it was most likely the wiring. No one can be sure yet though.

A lot of the firemen had been up all night because there had been a car accident before the Inn caught on fire, so Maryah and I raced down to the house and quickly made 4 dozen oatmeal cookies. They disappeared pretty fast! I felt so bad for the men because it was so abominably cold!! Hands and toes were freezing all over the place, and the spray from the hoses coated everything in the vicinity with ice.

By 9am they had the fire out, and they left, but guys keep popping up every now and again to check on it. Actually, a man just stopped by and said he thinks its going to catch on fire again, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully nothing since Mom and dad are gone for the afternoon!

We've had lots of neighbors stopping by and they've pledged equipment and man power to clear everything away...which was sooooo nice of them. The Slacks came over too! I was so happy to see them, despite circumstances. I took them up to see the inn, and that was the first time I was able to get a close look as well. It was rather shocking. (oh wait, I've said that already). But really, it was very weird. There is only the chimney, and one and a half walls standing. its a charred and smoking mess. Remains of appliances, the wires of mattresses, metal file cabinets...their shapes are just barely recognizable.

It has definitely been a lesson of don't store up your treasures on earth where moth and rust...and fire....destroy. Thankfully, there was nothing of IMMENSE value, but there are some special things we will miss. The dining room table that we all shared for so many years of our lives. The antique butter churn. Paintings us kids had done, and a few quilts. Andrew's western play-mobile collection :). Stuff like that.

The terrible thing is that we had just moved my Dad's office up there, so of course all the paperwork of 20 years of business just burned up. I'm not completely sure what that means, but I know its not good. Some financial stuff is on the internet through business programs, but most of it was in those file cabinets that are no more.

So its been an exciting day! Thats for sure. Your prayers would be greatly appreciated! Especially for my Dad. He does not need this one more thing to deal with. Pray that he could keep a clear mind, and not be stressed, and stay in good health. And pray that we would not get bogged down in this, and that God's glory would be revealed even in this not-so-good situation.

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Mt. 6:19-20

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you." Is. 43:2

3 comments:

Andrew said...

Crazy! You should post some pictures!

Rebecca said...

Well-I know A LOT more people have read this than have posted comments-but i need to say that your thoughts are wonderful and really an inspiration. Good thoughts to think on as we clear away the fire devastated remains.

mattea said...

thanks Mom :-)