My favorite part of the Trilogy of the Ring is in the Fellowship when Tolkein describes Lothlorien. When it's Autumn in Lothlorien, the leaves all turn pure gold, but they never fall. And the bark of the trees is silver. In Spring, the golden leaves are pushed off by golden flowers, so you have a golden carpet of leaves on the ground, silver trees, and then the gold flowers in the tree tops. That is one of my favorite descriptions ever, for some reason. Tolkein was brilliant.
Yesterday was also Maryah's 13th birthday. She had two of the neighbor girls over, as well as the grandparents.
Today, my Papa T has invited us over the hill to a Native American gathering. One of his Native friends, Rose, is hosting it and he invited us. Papa T is 1/4 Lenepe Indian, and part of the Metis (pronounced Muh-tay) tribe. Which makes Mom 1/8, and all of us kids 1/16. Which isn't that much, but it's enough to make us official Native Americans. So mom and Andrew got registered and when I turn 18 I can become a Native too. Which is cool, because you can get scholarship money for that, since it's a minority group. It's weird though, because we look nothing like Indians....hahaha....but the scholarship money would be very nice :).
Tonight we are going up to the air port to pick up Andrew. His flight comes in around 11 pm, I think.
I am really longing to read a good book. But alas, there is no time. And I have this rule with myself that I can't read fiction/fun as long as school is going on. Maybe over fall break though...
Edit: I had to run up to the library and get out the Fellowship of the Ring to find that quote...my paraphrasing doesn't do it justice...
"There lie the woods of Lothlorien!" said Legolas. "That is the fairest of all the dwellings of my people. There are no trees like the trees of that land. For in the autumn their leaves fall not, but turn to gold. Not till the spring comes and the new green opens do they fall, and then the boughs are laden with yellow flowers; and the floor of the wood is golden, and golden is the roof, and its pillars are of silver, for the bark of the trees is smooth and grey." <3
Edit: I had to run up to the library and get out the Fellowship of the Ring to find that quote...my paraphrasing doesn't do it justice...
"There lie the woods of Lothlorien!" said Legolas. "That is the fairest of all the dwellings of my people. There are no trees like the trees of that land. For in the autumn their leaves fall not, but turn to gold. Not till the spring comes and the new green opens do they fall, and then the boughs are laden with yellow flowers; and the floor of the wood is golden, and golden is the roof, and its pillars are of silver, for the bark of the trees is smooth and grey." <3
1 comment:
That was a good post! That's one of my favorite parts of LOTR, too. Lovely reading.
I know what you mean about wanting to read a good book. I thought the exact same thing last night. But hey, at least you had time to go gaze at the sky!
Post a Comment