In church this morning I heard a very good, very applicable message. I want to write my notes down here in case something happens to my little piece of notebook paper I have them written on at present...
Passage: Romans 14:1-12 (also read Gal. 3:28)
Title: "Opinions, Preferences, and the Family of God"
Main Point: Our call to love one another is more important than our opinions and preferences.
Intro
The Roman church was made up of both Jews and Gentiles, so we are talking about tons of opinions in this one body of Christ. For thousands of years, for a Jew to even step into a Gentile's house would defile them, so obviously some problems were going to arise when they began to worship/fellowship together. There were two main issues in the Roman church that Paul is addressing in his letter: food and holy days. It was important for Paul to address this because when Christians are divided over issues of opinion the Gospel message is destroyed.
As an aside: We ARE to have our convictions and opinions--it is good to (v. 5b). The problem is that convictions can be born out of pride (MY way of doing it is THE way of doing it) or, on the other side of the spectrum, apathy (all ways are good, it doesn't matter what you do or what I do).
Disputable Matters
1. What are disputable matters?
--Anything that God doesn't specifically speak to, or things of secondary importance.
i.e. consumption of alcohol, worship style, educational choice, make-up and jewelry, politics, Bible versions. You could also call these "non-essentials."
Indisputable matters: the gospel of Jesus. Honesty. Lying. Gossip. Immorality. Drunkenness. Etc. These can also be called "essentials."
Have a conviction, but know the difference between essentials and non-essentials.
2. How are we to interact over disputable matters?
--Love, don't judge.
a) we are to accept one another (v. 3).
We welcome one another because God has welcomed us. We are to have warm fellowship despite our differences.
Remember: Big truths (the essentials) keep small differences (the non-essentials) in check!
b) we should think charitably about one another. Think the best about people who have opinions different from you. They probably thought a whole lot about their opinions, and have reasons why they do what they do.
c) In non-essentials, leave the final judgement up to God.
Our ultimate accountability is to God.
Application
1. Where are my opinions tripping me up?
2. Do I tend to judge others or think the best of them?
3. Have opinions and judgments affected my relationships?
a. If so, what can I do about it? Do I need to reconcile with anyone?
So yes....definitely needed to hear that. Warren Boettcher really has a gift for preaching, and I know God was speaking through him this morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment