Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Whatever You Jolly Want To

I have decided that my goal in life is to get my name on an Apples to Apples card.

Ha ha, okay, so maybe that's not the only goal but...it would be cool.

Today is the first real day of Christmas vacation, since it's the first day where I see nothing on the schedule that I have to do. Today, I can do whatever I jolly want to, and that is what makes break a break. School did end Friday though--and on a good note at that because my final philosophy exam went really well, and my term paper for English came back with a pleasing grade too. I was really nervous about the phil. test, for some reason, and had studied crazy hard and long for it (and the studying definitely paid off), so it was quite relieving to get that over with.

Also on Friday was my last day of work. That was a sad morning. I ticked off the patients and their arrival and leaving times like I normally did, but knew that with each one, I was bringing myself closer to being done for forever. All of the other employees were exceedingly mopey too. But they gave me a cake, and a really sweet card with notes of endearment and "good jobs" all over it. I almost cried on the way home. :-p The I came home and took my test and stuff and finished up with school. After that, around 5:30 I headed out to the christmas party that Micki, the head PT, was hosting. Her house wasn't too hard to find, and I got there (and back) in one piece. It was an exciting trip because that is the first time I have ever driven by myself, only my second time driving in the dark, going to a place I had never been to before, on the most dangerous road in the entire county (several teenagers die each year driving on it), on the most dangerous night of the week. That was my first time driving because the day I got my license Holly, the mercedes, broke down (actually on the way to take the test something started going wrong and I was scared I wouldn't be able to take it). And we haven't exactly had the money to get her fixed. And then the q7 and the green audi broke down at intervals as well, so we've been one car-ing it for a while. It wasn't until last Friday evening that I could take it.

Anyway, back to the Christmas party. Micki's house was this gorgeous log home, that was completely decorated. Like, her whole decorating scheme must have been changed because everything out was Christmas-y. The party itself was kind of tedious, since half of the people were from a different office and I didn't know them. And I was quite the youngest person there, with the exception of Micki's little kids. Then we had our secret gift exchange. I had drawn Julie's name, and she works in a different office than I do so I didn't know her at all. So it was interesting getting a present for her. She ended up really liking it though, i'm pretty sure. It was funny though, because Julie got my name as well, so neither of us had a clue what to get the other.

I got home about 10, and Andrew was back from Tennessee!! In celebration we sat around the Christmas tree and watched the new VeggieTales "It's a Meaningful Life." I thought it was pretty good.

Saturday morning I woke up and Andrew and I went to Patrick Milano's 21st surprise birthday. We had some pizza for lunch and then played Settlers of Catan, which was really fun, but Pat won...like usual. I was able to put up a relatively good fight, but at one point when the robber was put one me, and then I lost half my cards to a 7. That really took the wind out of my sails.

Sunday was Andrew's 21st birthday. Mom and Dad have their first adult child now. We went to church, and then hung out as a family....

Monday I cleaned my room. Do you know how dirty a room can get after 8 consecutive weeks of college? That took me hours and hours....mostly my room just gets really dusty--especially the floor--and that is what takes time to clean completely. And I have to clean up all my hair lol. The average person looses 100 head hairs a day. Well, since I have twice as much hair as the average person, I'm pretty sure I lose 200 a day. Which makes for a lot to clean up.

That afternoon, after the piano man came to tune our piano for the girls' recital they were hosting Tuesday, we watched the Matrix. First time seeing that and I thought it was really good. And it wasn't as creepy as mom made it out to be. Some aspects made me think of the Madeline L'Engle books...especially the line "where is not important...it's when." Then we cleaned some more.

Tuesday I read to Grandma, cleaned some more, and then Maryah and a bunch of her friends held a Christmas recital. They all did really well. Some played piano, others guitar, violin, flute, recorder, some sang...

Tuesday evening I got all registered for my classes next semester at LU.

And now... I am enjoying my freedom.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Dear Mattea,
My powers of deductive reasoning gather from this post that you are going to Liberty this coming semester... is this correct? We need to catch up my friend :)

Bethany said...

wait, from reading older posts I now wonder if you are doing another online semester... boy we just need to talk because this is to confusing