Saturday, April 09, 2011

Stereotypical

In my sociology book (sociology has actually proved to be very interesting--not that I'm going to run out and become a sociologist, but it is a very cool field), it mentioned that most people use blogs to a) complain about school and b) complain about the president.

I did not realize my blog was so stereotypical.

Not that I don't post about other things...and I only infrequently complain about the president and politics. So there. Speaking of such things though, I can't believe the government didn't shut down like they said they would! It was so anticlimactical (yes I know that isn't a word) to wake up this morning, turn on CNN (we have Dish again! We had had it on pause because we couldn't pay for it, but you can only have it paused for so long, so they started charging us again. We have it whether we like it or not lol) and find out that the government was still open. I guess they cut it really close though, only coming to a budget decision at 11pm last night. They were interviewing a democrat (surprise surprise, though in all fairness they had tried to book a republican and he had canceled last minute) and he said, "Those republicans told us we had to come to an agreement, otherwise they would shut the government down." Did you catch the they? Muahaha, I love that we can threaten to shut the government down...I'm hoping that we'll be able to come to some decisions in the next weeks about what the government should stop funding though. Let's hope that Planned Parenthood gets dumped.

Okay, now it is time to complain about school. I think the third week is always the hardest because you still haven't gotten completely used to the classes, and the professor decide to dump assignments on you. This week was no exception, because there were a billion assignments. Besides regular reading, the rundown was something like this:

Sociology: Community outreach paper
Discussion board thread and replies on the pros and cons of social networking sites

Bible: Test
Discussion board replies on OT narratives

History: Test
Discussion board thread and replies on comparing Aristotle and Plato's ideal governments
Article Review essay on Polybius' analysis of the Roman government

For a grand total of...3,800 words.

What are they thinking?

Anywhooo...Need I say I'm glad it is the weekend? What is nice is that this semester, I only have to do an hour or two of school whereas last semester the weekend was pretty much a school day. However, even though lot's of school isn't necessarily "fun" it is neat to see just how far a human mind can go without crashing. I'm surprised mine hasn't. I'm pretty sure I never even cried this week. :-P

Last weekend was pretty fun. We played ultimate frisbee in the park since the weather was nice-ish. We had some great games, even though we haven't played in so long. I could tell I hadn't played in forever though, because when I woke up Monday morning I felt as if I had been repeatedly thrown into the ground. Seriously, every muscle in my body would scream if I moved. I didn't even know you used your obliques in frisbee. Must be the twisting motion? However, it got me thinking...we were running pretty constantly for 2 hours, so how far could I actually run in a straight line in that same amount of time? Not that I could do it mentally--something about having a lot of people all suffering with you, with a frisbee flying at you, and winning or losing at stake, makes it easier to do anything.

5 comments:

Halifirien Pilgrim said...

There have been games of ultimate next to my dorm, and I thought of you. And quidditch, too, haha.

Certain people were a little disappointed the gov didn't shutdown, lol.

How do the discussion boards work? I haven't had any yet.

mattea kiriel said...

For the DB's they give you a topic that you have to respond to per the text book, or maybe an article. You pretty much just write an essay, and then post it so all of your classmates can read it too. Depending on the class, it could be 250 words long, or 500. Not that bad. Especially when the topics are fun! The sociology topics have been really fun so far, as were the topics in my humanities class last subterm. The Bible and history topics are rather dry, but in those classes they don't expect more than 250 words, once again, it's not bad. Then you have to reply to two classmates in threads of just 100 words each, critiquing them politely, adding info, whatever.

Quidditch? Never heard of it!

Would your dad have been affected if the gov shut down? I mean, seeing as he's a spy and all that....

Isaac said...

Quidditch is a harry potter game, it's in the books and involves a demon possessed ball being chased by gandalf wannabees on broomsticks.

Rebecca said...

You've been crying? :/

mattea kiriel said...

@Isaac: oh, now I remember hearing of it...

@mom: it was a figure of speech, actually. I'm pretty sure school hasn't made me ever cry, except for maybe a few months ago when biology was just starting and it was taking me forever to figure out how proteins and carbs are turned into ATP, and then how ATP is released as energy.